Aromatherapy for Children - Benefits | Precautions | Safe Essential Oils for Children
The trees, leaves, herbs, flowers, and seeds are all elements of nature that release odors. Aromatherapy fragrances created by distillation of these natural herbs alleviate not only emotional ailments but also some physical ailments. Aromatherapy gives pleasure, comfort, and peace to human beings and these are some reasons why aromatherapy has been used since ancient times and is still ongoing. Besides aromatherapy fragrances, it also uses essential oils extracted from a variety of seeds, flowers, plants, stems, leaves, roots, and fruits of nature. These provide unlimited benefits to an individual that act at the mental, emotional, spiritual, and physical aspects of human beings and not only heal diseases and ailments such as stomach pain, colds, coughs, insomnia, nausea, and irritability but also treat anxiety, shock, states of convalescence, chronic ulcers, wounds, and minor burns. The emotional benefits of aromatherapy are that it creates a relaxing environment, decreases stress and tension of daily life, stimulate the imagination and creativity, and promote concentration. Adults all over the world have used and are using aromatherapy for a long time but it is interesting to note that children have a sensitivity and spontaneity that allows them to easily open their senses so they benefit even more from aromatherapy than adults. At the same time it is very true that aromatherapy is beneficial in curing many types of ailments our body suffers, but one should be very careful when applying aromatherapy on kids and pregnant women.
Precautions for Using Aromatherapy in Children:
- Do not use aromatherapy for children under three years.
- Do not use extremely scented oils that can be irritating or exciting in children.
- Aromatherapy inhalations are not recommended for children under seven years of age.
- In cases of colds and allergies, vaporization can be used with two to three drops of essence, but before it is advisable to consult your pediatrician.
Another thing that must be considered is the recommended strength or dose, which is always lower in children than in adults. The following measures are used in children from three years onwards:
- In kids 3 to 7 years of age, the dosage should be very light dilutions of 0.5% or less. For example, in the bath water, you need to pour only two to three drops of essential oil and body oil only 50 ml. approximately three to five drops.
- In kids 7 to 10 years of age, you can slightly increase the concentration to 1% or less. Increase body oil to 1 or 2 more drops.
- In children from 10 to 14 years of age, you can increase the concentration up to 1.5%.
How to Use Aromatherapy Essential Oils for Children
Safe Essential Oils for Kids
- Eucalyptus: Provides security and relaxation, relieves joint pain, and acts as an insect repellent for children. Children are very prone to getting insect and mosquito bites and eucalyptus helps in keeping insects away from them
- Lavender: Induces sleep and relieves headaches.
- Mandarin: Is given for comfort and relaxation.
- Chamomile: Relaxes and dissipates stress of studies.
- Mint: Relaxes mind, encourages concentration, enhances imagination and creativity, relieves heartburn, flatulence, and stomach pains.
- Rose: Relaxes mind, heals wounds, and helps in rebuilding smoothness of kid’s skin, especially in cases of minor burns.
How to Use Aromatherapy Oils in Children
- For massage, dilute the essential oil in neutral oils such as jojoba oil, almond oil, or peach oil. Your aim should be reducing the overall concentration of that oil because children are much more sensitive to these oils than adults.
- To perfume a bedroom, playroom, or study room in order to purify the air, put a few drops of essential oil in the diffuser 10 minutes before the room is occupied by a kid and turn it on and the diffuser should be removed immediately when the kid occupies the room for sleeping, playing, or studying.
- For use in the child’s bathroom, add only 1 drop of essential oil in the bath water for babies of 0 to 3 years and 4 drops for children of 3 to 10 years.
- To apply essential oil on wounds for children up to 5 years, an adult should apply the mixture on his/her hands and than that mixture can be applied on the injured area pressing lightly with the fingertips over the wound.
More by this Author
A simple and straightforward guide to prevent and treat mouth ulcers. Also read the the causes and signs and symptoms...
Hi friends. Today, I am going to share a secret home remedy with you which my mother used to give me when I was a child suffering from cough and cold. Especially In India it has been observed...
In very simple terms, PCOS or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is a genetic problem with various hormonal manifestations. It presents with a rainbow of symptoms, including: difficulty losing weight, a tendency to gain...
No comments yet.