Help Choking Baby
The Heimlich Maneuver can be performed on a baby. This can also be referred to as giving back slaps. The back slaps will exerting pressure on the bottom of the diaphragm and dislodge any foreign object.
This is one of the most important tools in child care safety as babies are often putting objects in their mouths.
Heimlich Maneuver Poster
How to Perform the Heimlich Maneuver on a Baby
- Sandwich the baby between your forearms (Supporting the baby's head)
- Turn the baby over face down so that the head is lower than the body
- Lower your forearm onto your thigh. Use the heel of your hand to deliver five blows between the baby's shoulder blades.
- Place two fingers on the middle of the chest slightly below the nipple line. Push hard and push fast...5 times
- Repeat back blows and chest thrusts until the object is out or baby becomes unconscious
- Gently sweep your finger through the child's mouth to remove any foreign objects.