Treat Back Pain during Pregnancy: Backache in Pregnant Women
Back Pain and Pregnancy
A study published in the Journal Spine; in 1991 indicated that the prevalence of back pain during pregnancy is as high is 49% in the ninth month. It was estimated that backache during the 12th week of pregnancy was about 22-28% and it gradually increased as pregnancy advanced.
Women who had previous back problems and back pain had a higher risk of backache during pregnancy and so did younger mothers, multipara mothers and women with physical and psychological work stress.
While Back pain during pregnancy is relatively common; but, can be managed using various back pain remedies, like, supplements, aromatherapy and acupressure.
Lower Back Pain in Pregnant Women Causes: Pregnancy Back Pain
A host of factors contribute to the development of backache during pregnancy; the most frequently seen causes and triggers are:
- Overweight and obesity; being overweight is the most significant etiological factor that sets off a back pain.
- The hormone profile of a pregnant woman goes through a range of fluctuations. Levels of the hormone relaxin tend to increase during pregnancy; this causes the ligaments in the pelvic cavity to become soft, and also makes the joints of the back smooth. Consequently, exertion or sitting for prolonged periods results in back discomfort.
- The spine supports the weight of the woman as well s that of the baby, and in so doing, there occurs back pain and discomfort.
- What’s more, during pregnancy, the center of gravity moves forwards, and this affects one’s posture, triggering distress.
- The sciatic nerve passes via the hip joint may get inflamed, thereby, causing pain.
Pregnancy Back Pain Relief : Tips to Treat Backache in Pregnant Women
Here are some tips that can help in providing sustained back pain relief during pregnancy,
- During pregnancy, do not wear heels at all.
- Ensure that your posture is always correct. Never sit in one position for too long periods of time; keep stretching every 30 to 45 minutes.
- Do not over exert yourself; rest is mandatory.
- Sleep on your left; and place a pillow below your knees.
- Do not take analgesics and pain killers to manage the pain. It influences your baby’s health.
- Acupressure is known to afford relief from back pain. Sessions with your therapist will unquestionably help you.
- Talk about the discomfort and uneasiness with your gynecologist, more so, if the pain is excruciating.
Massage for Severe Back Pain in Pregnant Women: Massage for Backache during Pregnancy
Aromatherapy helps alleviate a lot of the back pain and discomfort felt during pregnancy; though, ensure that you get a certified masseur and an experienced aromatherapy specialist. Massage stokes during pregnancy must be gentle, and only those essential oils that are allowed during pregnancy should be used for the therapy.
Ginger essential oil is the most suitable essential during pregnancy. It warms the muscles and perks up circulation of blood. You may use it in your bath (not more than 2 drops) or combine it with a carrier oil, like, olive oil or almond oil and use for massage. This essential oil is warming and refreshing.
Exercises during Pregnancy: Yoga for Back Pain
Yoga is advised during pregnancy. Nevertheless, you must go to a proficient practitioner of yoga and start your sessions after the first trimester (first 3 months) is over.
Exercise during pregnancy helps keep the muscles of the back and the abdomen strong. Also, you could wear a belly support belt.
More by this Author
Angular cheilitis is associated with formation of sores around the mouth and can be associated with several causes. The symptoms of the condition can be treated using home remedies and healthy diet.
Bile juices aid in the digestion of fats. During pregnancy however, bile reflux is fairly common and can lead to a host of unpleasent symptoms. Here are some herbs and home remedies along with some home based and...
Liver Cysts rarely have any symptoms; nonetheless, the condition hampers liver functions considerably. Home remedies help treat the condition successfully and keep the liver functioning optimally.
No comments yet.