Treating Back Pain Naturally: Home Remedies & Diet for Backache Relief
Prevelance of Lower Back Pain
Back pain has serious economic implications on the productivity of a nation. As per a report, back pain attributed to 1.3% of the total Gross Domestic Product of Netherlands in 1995. As per a European Commission Study in 2007, 67 million people suffered from upper or lower back pain in the year. Backache is also one of the leading causes of sick leaves in the United Kingdom contributing to approximately 12.5% of all sick leaves.
Deskbound jobs, faulty and sedentary lifestyles and dietary errors greatly contribute to its occurrence. This change in life style patterns along with lack of exercise has made backache is the commonest ailments prevalent today.
Further, back pain is one of the most poorly managed condition, which often results in escalation of the severity of the problem. Using natural treatments to promptly manage the condition can hasten recovery and avoid debilitation.
What Causes Backache?
There are several factors that are responsible for Back pain and Backache. Here are some of the common causes
- Spondylosis is a degenerative disorder which is characterized by adhesion between two vertebras. This is a common cause of backache, especially lumbar spondylosis. .
- Poor and faulty posture, especially while sitting or standing is an important cause
- Spasms of the muscles and muscular cramps cause back pains
- Calcium Deficiency or osteoporosis
- Prostate disorders
- Kidney stones
- Wearing high heels
- Sedentary lifestyle with no exercise of associated with excessive weight gain
- Lifting heavy weights
- Gynecological conditions like endometriosis, uterine prolapse or male conditions like enlarged prostate can also result in back pain
Home Remedies for Back Pain: Dietary Suggestions for Backache Relief
Here are some simple home remedies that are effecitve in management of back pain
- Lemon: Lemons are packed with vitamin C or ascorbic acid, a powerful anti oxidant. Research says, an intake of up to 1000 mg of vitamin C everyday generates rapid and extraordinary results in cases of chronic and stubborn backaches.
- Ginger: Ginger is the most effective natural remedies for the treatment of backaches. Make sure you have 1 glass of ginger tea everyday. Ginger is known to manage swelling and inflammation, allay pain and improve the range of movement.
- Garlic: Garlic is loaded with several anti inflammatory agents. These elements ease pain and inflammation promptly, thereby reducing spinal discomfort. Take 2 flakes of raw garlic daily; it will afford speedy relief. What’s more, massage with garlic oil assures use warm oil to gently massage your back and leave on for 2 hours.
Natural Treatment for Treating Backache: Natural Back Pain Relief
- Yoga: Practicing Yoga on a daily has a beneficial action on your spine. Yoga gently and effectively massages the muscles of the back, strengthens the tendons, bones and ligaments, and makes the spine very supple and flexible. Yoga treats virtually all back pains successfully. Moreover, Yoga asanas prevent stiffness of the joints and get rid of tingling numbness. The most recommended yoga poses to fight backache are Dhanurasana, Parvatasana, Halasana and Ardhmatsyendrasana.
- Massage: A massage alleviates muscle cramps, eases pain and discomfort and lubricates the spine. Warm sesame oil to which a few drops of nutmeg essential oil is added is most suitable for spinal massage.
- Acupressure: Reflexology or acupressure promises you an everlasting solution to back pains. Applying sufficient pressure on the specific acupressure points for the correct intervals of time can normalize the flow of ‘chi’ or the vital force through the body and banish pains.
Additionally losing excess of weight and managing calcium and vitamin deficiency can also be beneficial in the treatment of back pain.
More by this Author
Goiter is a thyroid disorder which is often associated with hypothyroidism but can also be observed in cases of hyperthyroidism. There are several factors or causes associated with goiter. Dietary considerations and...
Excessive perspiration, combined with multiplying bacteria and poor hygiene, result in dreadful foot odor and immense awkwardness. These guidelines will help you have nice smelling feet.
Liver Cysts rarely have any symptoms; nonetheless, the condition hampers liver functions considerably. Home remedies help treat the condition successfully and keep the liver functioning optimally.