Create Your Own Essential Oils: A How-To
Create Your Own Essential Oils
Essential Oils can now be easily accessed in nearby pharmacies or health shops. However, if you are going to use them over a given period of time or on a regular basis, it only makes sense to try and learn how you can create your own essential oils at home. That way, you can mass produce them and be assured of having enough supply to last you for a few months. In the end, it is more time-saving and much more friendly to your budget.
Before You Get Started
Before even proceeding into the actual process of creating your own essential oil, it is important to determine whether you really need it. That way, you will spare yourself from going through this method. If you are not going to use essential oils on a regular basis, might as well purchase ready made essential oil treatments for your convenience.
One of the skills required to get you started on creating an essential oil treatment mixture is in terms of getting the essential scent out of the plant material. You might need certain materials in order to take out precious oil off of the plant sources, so you need to determine whether you have access to those. If possible, perform some advanced research to see if it is actually plausible to do at home. You can also look at what plant or natural materials are abundant with essential oils so you can produce more.
Making an essential oil
Needed Equipments or Materials
Although creating your own essential oil blends do not require complicated or expensive equipments, you need to gather together these materials beforehand. In order to prevent missing out on any materials or ingredients you might need, it is best to create a list for all the items you need.
For your convenience, some of the basic items you will be using or needing in creating your own essential oils are listed below:
- Apparatus for distilling: You can obtain one from several health shops and they are used to distill essential oils. These are quite expensive but is practical for those who cannot create their own distilling apparatus.
- Eyedropper: This item will be used in transporting essential oils or other liquid items from one container to another.
- Carrier oil: This is important to have if you intend to have an essential oil that is absorbed by your skin. Vegetable-based carrier oil is often recommended. Among the accepted carrier oils include apricot kernel, jojoba, sweet almond, grapeseed, olive oil, and coconut.
- Hot Pot or Cooker: You need to have access to this material since it is required in the heating process.
- Vitamin E gel caps: This will help to naturally preserve essential oils.
Making Aromatherapy Products : What Is Essential Oil?
Methods of Extraction
There are three choices when it comes to the extraction method used in creating your own essential oils: distillation, expression, and solvent extraction.
*Distillation: In this method of essential oil extraction, the liquid is turned into vapor until it condenses back into its liquid form. It is one of the longest existing process of acquiring essential oils from plant materials and is known to be cost-effective. One disadvantage of this method is that it requires heat, so you cannot use fragile materials during extraction.
*Expression: Also known as “cold pressed” method, essential oils are forced out of your plant sources using mechanical pressure . This method is known to produce high quality essential oils.
*Solvent Extraction: This method works best with plant materials that yield very low amount of essential oil, or when it contain mostly resinous components. Hence, you will also notice that essential oils generated using this method produce a finer fragrance as compared to those produced via distillation.
Importance of Notes
There are three type of notes for all essential oils: top notes, middle notes, and base notes. From top to base, the rate of evaporation decreases such that base note type of essential oils are able to preserve the scent by as much as one week as compared to only 24 hours for top notes.
If you want to get the best essential oil solution, you can combine at least a single drop from either one of the three “notes”. Aside from their evaporation rate, top to base notes also represent the strength of their smell or scents.
Steps in Creating Essential Oils
When creating your own essential oil, you have to remember that there is no specific steps to follow. You can use the following procedure so you can make your own essential oils for use at home:
- Prepare at least half an ounce of your choice of herbs and mix it with two cups of oil.
- Stir the mixture thoroughly.
- Once you have mixed it thoroughly, place it on top of your slow cooker. Make sure you have a low heat and keep the mixture on top of it for 5 to 7 hours.
- Remove the mixture on top of the heat. Then, use a tablecloth to strain them.
- Secure a container where you will place the strained liquid. Make sure you label the type of essential oil you used and place a date on it for tracking purposes. Most homemade essential oils could last for 6 to 8 months.
How to Blend and Use Aromatherapy Oils to Relieve Pain and Stress : Part 3 : Carrier Oils for Blending : Aromatherapy
Additional Blending Tips
- If you want to use the distillation method, it is best to opt for steam distillation as it has been known to produce the best quality of oil. Although it is more complicated to setup, it allows you better control in the production of oil.
- You can follow the easy method of placing your plant materials directly into the water. However, this method will dramatically reduce the quality of oil you can get.
- The amount of oil you yield varies from one plant to another. Hence, you will often need a great deal of plant material before producing the desired amount of essential oil.
- Be careful when trying to extract oil from plants since they are very fragile. Most essential oils are found on the veins, hairs, and oil glands; therefore, you need to avoid breaking these parts if you want to get the most out of every plant.
- When distilling, never use plastic materials. Instead, opt for stainless steel or glass to avoid any form of chemical reaction.
- Once you have extracted essential oils, never apply them directly into your skin without adding carrier oil. The level of concentration could be hazardous to your skin.
Aromatherapy Essential Oils DVDs on Amazon
Books on Essential Oils
Aromatherapy Videos on Amazon
More by this Author
Aromatherapy and its use of essential oils has garnered major popularity among all age groups because of its effectiveness in treating various kind of ailments and allowing several choices of application methods. Among...
Citrus fruits are very popular during the summer since they are common choices for preparing cold refreshments such as citrus juices. But they aren’t just popular because of their rich taste but also due to their...
Because of the bacteria that forms upon perspiration, bad odor is possibly emitted. Although this is one factor, it is not the sole reason. Body odor is caused by the presence of bacteria that thrive on your body during...