Dandruff Treatment With Essential Oils
Causes of Dandruff
Dandruff is one of the nastiest hair and scalp problem that one could experience. Not only is it itchy and annoying, it is also visible on the surface of your hair such that other people can see the flakes, whether up close or in a distance, depending on the severity of your dandruff case.
Before moving further, it is important to set it straight that excessive shampooing does not cause dandruff. Instead, it is triggered by physiological factors such as overproduction of sebum in your oil glands, excessive perspiration, allergies or reactions to harsh shampoos. Dandruff could also be associated with either dry or oily skin, which results in flaking of your scalp's skin. Experts would even support the idea that people with oily hair and scalp are more likely to develop dandruff than those who do not have oily scalp and hair.
Other factors that could contribute to dandruff formation includes stress, seasonal changes, or reaction to diseases.
Natural Treatment with Essential Oils
In an effort to cure your dandruff problem, you probably have resorted to expensive hair treatments that all put your money to waste since none of them seem to work. If any does work at all, then the effects are all just temporary that after some time you are hampered with the same problem over again.
Essential oils offer you the most effective but inexpensive method to treat dandruff problems once and for all. Read further below to know how.
Tea Tree Oil
If you examine the label of your anti-dandruff shampoo, then you will most likely discover tea tree oil as one of its natural ingredients. This is because tea tree oil contains antiseptic and anti-fungal properties that effectively fights bacteria or other causes of irritation on your scalp. Here's how you can use this essential oil in treating your dandruff problem:
- Buy a natural anti-dandruff shampoo and tea tree essential oil. These are readily available in your local health shops.
- For every 8 ounces of shampoo, you must add up to 10 drops of the essential oil. Then, mix them thoroughly and use it as your anti-dandruff shampoo.
- When applying this essential oil shampoo mixture onto your hair, make sure that it is massaged against your scalp for its therapeutic properties to put into work.
- Use this shampoo daily until the dandruff problem has subsided.
Herbal Alternative Medicine : Benefits of Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera Oil
Aloe vera is recommended as one of many oils known to effectively treat dandruff. You can simply make an essential oil blend and use a natural shampoo with aloe vera oil. To get started with your treatment, here are the basic steps:
- Pour a few amount of the oil into your hand. The amount will depend on the length and hair thickness, as well as the extent of dandruff problem.
- Rub your hands to make sure that the essential oil has covered your entire hands and fingertips. Then, massage it against your hair and scalp while applying steady pressure. Make sure that all of the oil are all applied onto the hair and scalp. In worst cases of dandruff, make sure that the scalp gets a good amount of the oil.
- Let the oil solution sit on your scalp for no less than 10 minutes. For severe cases, you have to let it stay on there for a longer period of time.
- When you experience a tingly or burning sensation, wash it off immediately. You can use any regular shampoo when washing. Repeat the same process for as many times as possible for more effective results.
Patchouli oil is one of those best recommended for treating skin conditions. Since your scalp is considered as part of your skin, you can use its therapeutic abilities to improve the cell regeneration process in your scalp. Aside from the benefits of producing healthier skin, patchouli oil helps in regulating the amount of oil production in your scalp to provide any form of skin irritation from developing.
Chamomile is one of the most versatile type of oil used in aromatherapy. It is mild enough to use on children and toddlers, but strong enough to fight irritants that cause dandruff. Chamomile oil is rich in antiseptic properties that helps treat rashes on your skin and dandruff. This type of oil is ideal for controlling symptoms of dandruff and prevent it from recurring.
Peppermint oil contain anti-inflammation and antiseptic properties, which work together in treating the redness or irritation caused by dandruff on the skin of your scalp. It also creates a cooling effect, which help in fully eliminating dandruff problem. However, peppermint oil is a bit too strong so you need to be wary about using it, especially for those that are sensitive to menthol since you can develop adverse reactions.
How to Blend and Use Aromatherapy Oils : Using Lavender Aromatherapy Oil to Prevent Dandruff
Hairstyling & Hair Care : How to Cure Bad Dandruff
The first step of identifying what essential oils contain properties that work best against dandruff, it is now on to the next step which is the application method. It is important to know how to use the properties of these natural oils to ensure its effectiveness in providing not just temporary relief against dandruff, but also to keep them from coming back.
Here are some of the basic steps to an essential oil dandruff treatment:
- Take about a teaspoon of the specific essential oil you want to use for dandruff. You can place it on your hand and massage it against your scalp. When massaging, take time to spread it onto the hair and your scalp. If cases of dandruff is extreme for some areas of your scalp, then focus the massaging treatment on that for approximately 3 minutes.
- The amount of oil to use must not be taken for granted as it is essential in maintaining the right consistency. This will enable you to smoothly massage your hand against your hair but ensuring that the movements are gentle enough for your scalp.
- Leave the oil on your hair and scalp for at least an hour prior to washing it off. This will help ensure that the properties of the oil has fully penetrated your scalp to get the best results.
- You can make a homemade dandruff hair treatment by adding a mixture of at least 5 drops of essential oil to your regular shampoo. If possible, choose a mild or anti-dandruff shampoo to mix the oil with. You can now use that mixture to wash your hair until the dandruff treatment period is complete.
- After about 2-3 weeks of using this natural dandruff treatment method, you should be able to see great improvement in your dandruff problem, provided that you properly followed the instructions.
Essential Oil Links
Essential Oil DVDs on Amazon
Essential Oil Books on Amazon
Essential Oil Videos on Amazon
More by this Author
More and more people are cleansing their colons these days. In part, it's due to an increase in colon cleansing products on the market, and it's also due to the greater attention colon cleansing is re
Because of the bacteria that forms upon perspiration, bad odor is possibly emitted. Although this is one factor, it is not the sole reason. Body odor is caused by the presence of bacteria that thrive on your body during...
If you’re just starting out, chances are you’ve had the experience of walking into a capital city and see other players with amazing gear. For a newbie, this can be an off putting experience. Can you really...