Easy to Make Herbal Remedies
Many herbal medicines are simple enough to make in the home kitchen. Some of them have been used for a long time and are still in use because they have proved their worth over and over in solving some health problems.
Today most family kitchen contains a fabulous collection of herbs and spices that would have been the envy of the 19th century herbalist.
Herbal remedies provide safe economical and effective alternatives to orthodox medicines to treat a wide range of minor ills and in our highly stressed world, the relaxing process of making a herbal infusion or preparing an ointment can be therapeutic in itself.
Here are simple herbal recipes that you can put together, most of which can be found in your own kitchen.
1. Common Cold
Caused by viral infection and is usually characterized by the familiar dry throat and running nose, in some cases progressing to feversihness and persistent coughs.
At the first hint of a cold make a decoction - which is a method of extraction by boiling, it is used is for tough plant materials, such as barks, berries or roots.
You will need the following ingredients:
30 g sliced fresh ginger roots
1-2 broken cinnamon sticks
2-5 g coriander seeds
600 ml water ( 3 cups of water)
- In a pot, put all the ingredients together bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add a slice of lemon in the last five minutes.
- Strain and sweeten with organic honey to taste.
- Drink a cupful, hot every two to three hours
You will need:
1 medium size onion
- Slice the onion into rings and place in a deep bowl.
- Cover it with honey and leave for eight hours.
- Strain off the liquid, discard the onion and take a 2 teaspoon of the liquid every two to four hours.
3. Sore Throat
Sore throat often herald the onset of colds and flu or they can be a sympton of overworked vocal chors. You can try making this simple garle with:
1 handful fried or fresh sage leaves
2 teaspoon s of cider vinegar
2 ½ cups of water
- Pour the boiling water on the herb and cover.
- Leave to stand until cool then add the cider vinegar.
- Gargle every four hours
4. Travel Sickness
Motion sickness or travel sickenss is a very unpleasant experience,
To ease the symptoms of motion sickness, try the following:
- Chew a small piece of fresh ginger root or stem.
- Make a tea and add minced ginger to boiling water before you hit the road. .
5. Tired and eye strain
Stress long working hours and pollution all combine to make eye strain a common problem.
The simple answer is to take regular breaks from computer screens, avoid working all day in artificial lights, and frequently focus on distant objects for a few seconds as a break from close work. Also make this infusion to help you revive the eyes.
2 bags of Fennel or chamomile herb tea
A cup of boiling water
- Make an infusion by placing a tea-bag of fennel or chamomile herb tea in a cup of boiling water for five minutes.
- Strain and cool, then bathe the eye with a sterile eye-bath, using fresh infusions for each eye. Alternatively, use the cooled teabags to cover eyelids.
DISCLAIMER: These cures are not intended as, and should not be considered, a prescription or replacement for a doctor's expertise. You should always consult your doctor in case of illness, especially should your condition worsen or fail to improve over time.
More Herbal Remedies Links
- Homemade Natural Remedies & Aromatherapy
Below is a directory of home remedies and aromatherapy recipes for common ailments and conditions. These tried and true, natural cures make a wonderful supplement to modern medicine, and at times outperform modern pharmaceuticals.
- Herbal Bath Remedies
Western medicine tends to focus on using drugs to treat one health problem at a time. Other kinds of medicines tend to have more of an open-armed approach, welcoming an assortment of treatments. I believe...
- Home remedies to treat a sore throat
There are many natural medicines to treat a sore throat. Gargles, herbal teas, homeopathic remedies, and plain rest will soon have you back on track.
More by this Author
Color of food is an integral part of our culture and enjoyment of life. After reading this hub you will be able to make the right choices and enjoy your food for a better health.
A list of phobias related to different animals.
From apple to watermelon, an A- Z list of different fruits and some related facts. Lots of photos included!