You or Someone You Know is Having Eating Disorder Symptoms? Don't READ this Unless You Care!
Eating disorder is quite a common problem that faced by people in today's fast pace world and both the adults and young teens have the tendency to suffer from this illness. Generally, eating disorders include overeating and suffering from body image related conditions such as Anorexia or Bulimia. This health issue shouldn’t be taken lightly because it can lead to other serious health problems if nothing is being done. If you realize that you or someone that you know is suffering from eating disorder, you are advised to seek help immediately.
Eating disorders can be categorized into four groups:
- Anorexia Nervosa: This is a very common eating problem and it is characterized by a huge reduction in eating or even not eating at all. This may or maybe not followed by over exercising that goes beyond dieting. People that suffering this always think that they are overweight, even in reality there are not.
- Bulimia Nervosa: This is also a very common eating disorder that people suffer. This illness is characterized by series of secretive excessive eating (binge-eating ) and which always followed by inappropriate weight control methods such as self-induce vomiting (purging or forcing oneself to throw out food which is taken earlier ), abuse of laxatives and diuretics and excessive exercise.
- Binge-eating: This is a problem where the people that suffering from it will go on for extreme over eating for short periods of time but not followed by purging behaviours as in bulimia.
- Eating disorders not otherwise specified: This is used to describe people that suffering or experiencing a mix of all the above symptoms and of other disorders. The cause of eating problem is not exactly known. However, it is usually centred on the weight and body image whereas people that suffer from this issue is trying to attain a perfect figure. In other words, the individual’s psychology of needing to get a perfect figure or ideal weight surpasses the rest interest of the body and which, includes health.
Eating Disorder Treatments
There is actually no medical cure for eating disorder sufferers; the social and behavioral aspects of the disease make it too subtle to measure and thus, finding out a tangible solution impossible. Although, eating disorder is very common among adolescent and young teens, research had found out that females are more prone to this disease compares to males. On top of that, eating problem may happen in conjunction with other psychological disorders such as panic attack, anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD ), depression and/or substance abuse.
If a patient is not given the right treatment, it can lead to other severe health concerns like hair loss, brittle bones, kidney failure and heart problems, which eventually lead to death. Treatment for eating disorder is entirely depend on the individual condition, where a specialized plan will have to be developed based on his or her case.
Although seeking the help from the professional medical services is highly recommended, that does not mean that you can’t do anything else. In fact, it is highly advisable that the patient or the patient's family member try out the same natural intervention measure to combat the issue. Here are some of the steps that you might want to consider undertake to treat eating disorder naturally.
- Counseling: This does not necessarily need to be professionally done. You could help a friend or family member by spending time to talk to them and discussing about their eating habits and self esteem issue. However, you have to reassure them that what being discussed will be held confidentially. Sometimes this measure is good enough as sometimes the sufferer does not realize that he or she is suffering from eating disorder issue. By talking to them, this will certainly help the person to disclose the real reason behind their eating habits. The eating pattern can be caused by certain incidents that they encountered or by something that they have seen. Listening and supporting them will surely lead them back to the healthier lifestyle. However, please be reminded that it is extremely important that you know what and when to say or do before trying to approaching the person. Getting some knowledge through reading about eating disorder treatments will certainly be a great help to you.
- Nutritional and Exercise Programs: A person that suffers from eating disorder need to participate in nutritional and exercise programs. Both these things play a big role in the person’s healing process. With a proper and balanced diet, we can lose or gain and maintain a normal and healthy weight naturally. Besides, exercise can help bring out the endorphins which will make a person feel happy and stress free.
- Support Groups: This is a very crucial step; there is no better eating disorder treatment other than having a group of supportive people that keep on giving advices and lend a helping hand in the treatment process. These groups can make up of people who either have gone through the same experience and have recovered or loved ones (friends and families ) who are willing to participate. People that are closed to the patient make the most helpful group of people to uplift and lead the person to recovery.
Please take note that the above advices DO NOT represent any professional medical views or measures. You are advised to seek immediate medical attention should you or someone you know is suffering from eating disorder.
he Perfect Image - A documentary on eating disorders
Before and After Treatment: Eating Disorders Help
More by this Author
Quantum mind power is a brain wave entrainment program that released back in 2006. It has sold literally millions of copies since them and many users have reported a change in their lives having used it. Below is a...
Alviss Kong committed suicide after a failure in relationship. He jumped off a building after leaving final messages on Facebook. He was just 22 years old and that was his second relationhip.
This is a story about Ajahn Siripanno, who gave up everything and becoming a Theravada Buddhist forest monk in Thailand. His father is a successful businessman with net worth of billions of Dollars.
No comments yet.