Aromatherapy Health Benefits for Children: Essential Oils Safety Guidelines
Aromatherapy and Child Health
Aromatherapy is a safe, gentle and effective therapy for a host of childhood illnesses and diseases.
Essential oils provide excellent healing properties and help recover and maintain health and general well being. Aromatherapy works in a holistic frame work and helps boost kid’s health considerably.
Children are susceptible to several disorders and ailments, and need gentler and different treatment plans from adults. Essential oils for babies are a great deal more diluted and help treat various common illnesses successfully.
Aromatherapy for Babies and Children : Essential Oils for Childhood Illnesses
Aromatherapy has comforting, nurturing and health enhancing effects which promote physical and mental health in the child. Here are some of the apparent benefits of essential oils for babies and children:
- Aromatherapy supports a sense of joy, security and well being in children. An essential oil massage is a delightful way for the child and the parent to connect with one another and create a sense of bonding.
- Aromatherapy can alleviate fear, impatience, agitation, anxiety and stress, and crankiness among children as it has a soothing effect on the nerves.
- In addition, essential oils help manage cold, cough, fever, sore throat, diarrhea, abdominal discomfort, skin ailments, urinary trouble and sleeplessness in children.
Aromatherapy for Children: Essential Oils for Infants
Certain essential oils are considered to have profound benefits in children and are exceedingly important in the management of a host of illnesses and problems among children:
- Lavender essential oil blended with Myrtle essential oil is a safe and effective blend for children, and has a sedative and calming effect. It helps manage temper tantrums and when added to the babies’ bath encourages restful and sound sleep. ·
- Add 3 drops of the Lavender essential oil with a couple of drops of Benzoin essential oil for inhalation for children. These essential oil help treat cold, cough and sore throat instantly.
- Chamomile has been dubbed ‘children’s essential oil’. Chamomile has a soothing and calming effect and is recommended in cases of crankiness, sleeplessness, irritability, crabbiness, tummy upsets and teething problems.
Safety Guidelines for Essential Oils for Children
Whilst using aromatherapy, kids are segregated in to infants (1 -5 years) and children (6 - 14 years). Above 14 years, the child is usually treated as one would treat an adult.
These guidelines allow you to safely and effectively use aromatherapy for children:
- For 1 – 5 year olds, use 1 drop of the essential oil in 10 ml of a carrier oil (almond oil, olive oil, wheat germ oil or sesame seed oil).
- For 6 - 14 year olds, you can use 1 drop of the essential in 5 ml of carrier oil.
- Essential oils that are suitable for children are: Lavender, Chamomile, Rose, Myrtle, Neroli, and Benzoin.
- Aroma oils may be used as massage oils or may be added to the baby’s bath. Always blend the essential oil in a carrier oil, even for bath.
More by this Author
Abdominal distention and bloating are common digestive problems and can be treated promptly using simple home remedies. Lifestyle modifications also help deal with a gassy stomach.
Bile juices aid in the digestion of fats. During pregnancy however, bile reflux is fairly common and can lead to a host of unpleasent symptoms. Here are some herbs and home remedies along with some home based and...
Liver Cysts rarely have any symptoms; nonetheless, the condition hampers liver functions considerably. Home remedies help treat the condition successfully and keep the liver functioning optimally.
No comments yet.