Any doctors in Hubpages land?

1. A Thousand Words profile image80
    A Thousand Wordsposted 4 years ago

I went to an Immediate Care place and they prescribed me some antibiotics for what I might have. After getting the test results today, it turns out that it's nothing. The tests were all negative. Should I continue the prescribed dosage, or should I stop? I know the harmful affects of antibiotics which is why I don't want to continue taking them if it's not necessary, but I also don't know what would happen if I don't finish the dosage.

1. Lisa HW profile image83
      Lisa HWposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm not a doctor, and I'd suggest you just call the urge-care place where the prescription was issued.  Second best might be to call and ask the pharmacist.  Having said that, and based on my own experience with myself and my children, it's not uncommon for doctors to prescribe antibiotics while waiting for test results to come back; and then for the patient to be told there's not need to keep taking the drug once negative test results come back.  Also,  when someone has a negative reaction to some antibiotics there are times when they're told to just stop taking it.

The concern with not following the recommended program/schedule for antibiotics when you have an infection is related to giving the bacteria a chance to "strengthen up" against the drug and become more resistant to it.  Without the presence of that particular bacteria. that particular concern isn't an issue.

Best thing to do, though, is always a quick call to the doctor, facility and/or pharmacist and ask about your particular situation.  They won't diagnose over the phone (of course), but they will answer questions about a medication you're already been prescribed.

If, by any chance, you've already called and been told you should just stop taking it; and you're concerned because you've heard that stopping medication quickly can be bad, antibiotics are a different type of medication than some that shouldn't be stopped abruptly.  I'm not underestimating what you most likely already know - just trying to cover all the bases with a reply here.

2. A Thousand Words profile image80
    A Thousand Wordsposted 4 years ago

No, thank you, Lisa, your post was very helpful. The thought dawned on me though, actually right after I posted on here. I thought, why don't I just call them and ask them? Haha, my slow moment of the day, I suppose. They told me to just finish the dose, because even though the tests they took came back negative, based on my symptoms, it'd be best for me to just finish it.