jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Whole-Body Training.... My Thoughts

1. jclaffee profile image83
    jclaffeeposted 4 years ago

I believe that training the entire body is essential. I trained just my upper body years ago when I knew no better, and then wondered why my success was limited. Since then I've studied the physiology behind exercise and weight lifting in particular, and I've found that lifting with all the major muscle groups through compound exercises not only helps boost the metabolism and keep one lean, but triggers influxes in testosterone primarily that illicits muscle growth throughout the body. Relpy below and post your thoughts on training the whole body, as well as what you know about how training affects metabolism and hormones. Look forward to your posts. don't be shy.

1. RotR Fitness profile image60
      RotR Fitnessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That used to be known as "California" or "Hollywood" bodybuilding, and it was pretty common, so don't feel too bad smile

When I was younger, I would head to the gym and just go nuts; it was easier back then to "cut up", with ECA stacks being all the rage (early 1990s), but now that I'm in my mid 30s, I'm all about the full body workout. Not only does it keep me in better shape overall, but you're absolutely right about the effect on testosterone levels.

2. zulumuscle profile image79
    zulumuscleposted 4 years ago

if you want a complete physique you cannot ignore your legs, as you have stated training large muscle groups is said to increase GH and testosterone levels which in turn would help you build more muscle. If you ignore your legs you are missing out on a lot of growth. Plus if you do not want tree trunk legs there are way to train so that you have those lean cut wheels. Also its weird looking if a guy is big and wide on top and has this tiny lower body that does not match.

1. jclaffee profile image83
      jclaffeeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I agree fully. I think a moderate amount of heavy lifting for squats, deadlift, leg press and the like is adequate for ensuring size. After that, a slightly lighter weight with a rep range of 12-15 should keep the legs from getting too bulky but getting and keeping "cut wheels", as you said. Also, I like doing plylometrics- I can tell they help in the lean department as well.