jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (8 posts)

why do the doctors smoke?

1. ihayaydin profile image61
    ihayaydinposted 4 years ago

The doctors are educated in human health and they know best among us how much harm the cigarette do our lungs. they give medicine people to heal over,but they themselves smoke, ı have always wondered its reason since my childhood. ı want to learn your idea...

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I am from a medical family, and nearly all the doctors I know stopped smoking years ago. The rest never started.

Once the dangers of smoking became apparent, most realised they had to stop, else they would not be listened to when they tried to persuade patients to give up. Seems fair enough.

Those who still smoke now are only human, and subject to normal human addictions and failings, but I honestly don't know any doctors who smoke nowadays.

2. mrnasir profile image60
      mrnasirposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Interesting question...I'm sure doctors know the outcomes of smoking more than a common man but then why they smoke? They're also humans and after addiction, I think it's hard to quit.
      I personally don't know any doctor who smoke.

3. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Most people are aware of the dangers of smoking, they still smoke though. As Izzy states, doctors, and nurses for that matter, are human beings. A long time in education makes you no less susceptible to temptation, addiction or self harm in which ever way it presents itself.

1. paradigmsearch profile image89
        paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yep. Nicotine is presumably more addictive than Vicodin, etc. Doctors are known to have become hooked on that as well.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60

And alcohol. Doctors in the UK are three times more likely to become alcoholics than those from the same class, and who have obtained the same level of education but pursued different careers. I found this study, somewhere, some time ago. Now, doesn't that instill you with confidence in the UK healthcare system. (only kidding, wouldn't change the NHS)

1. paradigmsearch profile image89
            paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Life is so full of traps that it is a full time job dodging them.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60

Emm, I, generally, get caught up in the nets. lol

working