jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

Do you belong in AA?

1. Beverly Kase profile image62
    Beverly Kaseposted 4 years ago

I am in an AA meeting, I have been coming here for months now supporting my boyfriend and somewere down the line I realized that I actually belong here as well. Not only alcoholics come here but addicts as well, and I use to be an addict, to pills. Anything that gives me the high and I will take it anytime anyday and all the time. So now sitting here I actually feel a whole lot better. I am glad I can be here to support him amd he also supports me. Besides if it was not for him I would still be popping pills.

1. urspcl profile image60
      urspclposted 4 years ago in reply to this

wow good for you! admiting is the first step. I have dealt with much substance abuse myself but have endeavored to lead a much more sober lifestyle...it's the cigs I can't seem to put down.

Beverly Kaseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thank you. I understand how you feel about the nicotine. My mother can't seem to put it down either. I use to smoke but when I found out I was pregnant the first time as well as this second one, I went cold turkey. Although it is hard to be at a bus stop waiting and some person is not far from you smoking. They have no respect to walk away and they are older people.

2. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

Congratulations on making that connection for yourself.
    A lot of AA members start out thinking it's their spouse who has the problem.
    But when they start looking at their own behavior they realize they actually have a substance abuse problem, too.

You're right about addicts going to AA. These days (post 1960s), street and/or prescription drugs are part of most people's histories.

It's quite common for those whose drug of choice is not the bottle to not identify with AA at first.
    I've heard it many, many times, especially from women in residential treatment centers.
    "I'm not an alcoholic. I'm a meth head." "I don't even drinnk I just smoke weed." "I pop pills but I've never had a problem with drinking."
    What they're not recognizing is those are simply alcohol in a different form.
    The "ism" is the same no matter what substance(s) the addict puts in to alter their mood.

I hope both you and your boyfriend keep coming back and learn to live your lives without getting high!

Beverly Kaseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thank you MM, and you are definitley correct. The "ism" after any drug or alcohol is simply like an alcohol in disguise. Being addicted to something is still a bad habit no matter what if it take away your family, friends and more important your life. We have been going more often then we use too. Before we would go according to what the court wanted him to go to and have his slip signed. But now we go as much as we can, especially when we have bad days, we go for support and to hear what everyone else has to share because it really helps us a lot. I hope whatever struggle in life you are facing that god is with you all the way lending his hand.

1. Mighty Mom profile image91
        Mighty Momposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The court can require attendance at AA, true.
        It's great when someone starts out coming because they "have to" and end up staying because the "want to."
        Just awesome!