jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Coffee: drink it or skip it?

1. Wellnessinrva profile image61
    Wellnessinrvaposted 4 years ago

I eliminated coffee from my diet and replaced it with green tea to start my morning.  There have been assertions about the benefits of coffee in terms of liver cancer, Parkinsons, Type II Diabetes, skin cancer and heart failure.  On the other hand you can lose 10 pounds in 30 days by eliminating coffee from your diet and weight loss has also been tied to benefitting the conditions above.  What are your thoughts?  Coffee - drink it or skip it?

1. Shinkicker profile image91
      Shinkickerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm beginning to skip it in favour of herbal teas too. Makes me feel better and offers so much variety too. I think too much coffee is bad for you. Coffee has always smelled better than it tastes to me anyway.

2. Thelma Alberts profile image82
    Thelma Albertsposted 4 years ago

I drink it once a day. The rest are black, green and herbal teas besides water. Too much coffee can make one nervous.

3. Mom Kat profile image86
    Mom Katposted 4 years ago

oh man - 10 pounds in a month!  There's another reason for me to KEEP the coffee! lol

I already struggle to keep weight ON.  If I gave up my coffee, I would blow away in the breeze.

4. bonnebartron profile image77
    bonnebartronposted 4 years ago

But I love coffee so much! Who cares about the weight-loss!? Unless you are unhealthy because of your weight (in which case, quitting drinking soda, coffee and juice is a great start to being healthy) why should we obsess about diminishing our bodies? Humans are not supposed to be able to be blown away by a slight breeze!
      I work in Hollywood, the second most weight obsessed city (to NY) and I am often reminded by my friends (models, actors, etc.) that they are either constantly hungry, tired or consumed by the guilt of having a cube of cheese. Thin does NOT = Healthy.
      Personally, I think, if you want to drop 10 pounds, hit the gym for an extra ten minutes a day, and enjoy your coffee for what it is, a deserved treat!

5. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 4 years ago

Many scientific studies show that the caffeine in coffee, and possibly some other constituents as well, help weight loss. I have not found a single study claiming that coffee promotes weight gain.

Of course, loading coffee with sugar and cream, or flavoured syrups, or having it only in the form of lattes, will tend to negate that effect and even result in weight gain. However, it is not the coffee that is responsible, but what is added to it.

6. GiblinGirl profile image86
    GiblinGirlposted 4 years ago

I actually don't like coffee but I don't think there's anything wrong with having it in moderation just like anything else.

7. Dr Pooja profile image61
    Dr Poojaposted 4 years ago

Love coffee . Just can't skip it  but can reduce it's frequency to add green tea