jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Need Smoothie Ideas -- Which of these combos taste good?

1. SPomposello profile image80
    SPomposelloposted 4 years ago

I'm starting to get into smoothies but I'm looking to make some healthy ones that taste good. I got my NutriBullet blender recently but so far have had no luck with their recipes. Some of their required fruits/veggies I'm not into so I didn't buy them.

Their recipes basically require 50% veggies and 50% fruit with 10% boost (i.e. cashews, almonds, walnuts, flax). But I really don't like what I've made so far and I think its the veggies part that is throwing the taste off.

The fruits I'll eat are: Oranges, blueberries, strawberries, any kind of berries really, bananas, apples, grapes, plums, and peaches.

As for veggies, i'll eat baby spinach, lettuce, romaine, broccoli, and carrots.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with mixing the above and what combos would possibly taste good out of that?

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image79
      Kangaroo_Jaseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Take the veggies out, keep with the fruits and I have a hub on great and excellent smoothie recipes.

2. 0
      Casimiroposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I've never tried lettuce in a smoothie, but I can't imagine it would improve the flavor in any way. The spinach and broccoli may be a bit bitter, which is throwing off the taste for you. Some other ideas for veggies are cooked winter squash, sweet corn, young beets or sweet peas. Also, add a natural sweetener such as stevia and a small amount of real vanilla extract. Put in a few slices of fresh ginger root for a little zing.

2. Healthy Pursuits profile image89
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 4 years ago

I also have a hub on smoothies. If you want the benefit of veggies but the taste of fruit, try adding sweet carrots to your fruit smoothies. Of the fruits you've listed, my favorite combos are blueberries or peaches with bananas. If you like celery, it tastes good with orange and banana. Be sure to grind your carrots or celery thoroughly before you add the fruit. Adding almonds will give you a good crunch and the nutrition in nuts without overwhelming flavors.

3. cat on a soapbox profile image83
    cat on a soapboxposted 3 years ago

I don't mix fruits and veggies together in smoothies. I prefer fruit w/  ground flax seed, plain yougurt, and organic soy-based protein powder.

I like bananas w/ mango or peaches, bananas w/ blueberries or strawberries, and pear with raspberries. I also like papaya and pineapple w/ banana.

Veggies I prefer to juice but sometimes add a bit of citrus fruit for zest.

When juicing I like to combine beet, spinach, carrot, parsley and celery w/ lemon, carrot and apple, and carrot w/ orange.  Carrots are a great sweet base for juice recipes, esp. when adding broccoli. Apple, citrus, and ginger are also good additions to punch up the flavor and to make the sharp taste of cabbages/cucurbits more palatable. Afterall, they are excellent for good health and cancer prevention.