Old Age

1. gmwilliams profile image87
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

Becoming older is an undeniable fact of life.  Either we age or die while young.   In American society, there is a strong animus against aging and the old.    Old people are often derided in this youth obsessed culture.    Old people are also viewed to be "less" than young people although they have amassed wisdom and life experience.   However, this things are not values but instead cast aside in favor of the everlasting new. 

Old people are still considered to be going downhill mentally, physically, and emotionally.    They are also cast aside and viewed as "damaged goods."     In essence, their human warranty is almost running out!    Old people remind us of what we will become one day.      To reiterate, there is no escaping becoming and/or being old.   

In addition to the abovementioned, many of us have quite antediluvian ideas about old age.   One can be old and still be vibrant mentally and physically.    Dr. Christiane Northrup, obstetrician/gynocologist stated that the cells in one's brains constantly renew itself even in advanced age.     Even though one may experience age related issues, if one takes care of oneself, one can remain alert, active, and vibrant into advanced age.     What is this animus and fear regarding old age?    How has the idea of old age changed/ remained the same throughout the decades?

1. Renee Abbott profile image84
      Renee Abbottposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Excellent question and blog, and yes people do see old people in a negative way. I am old and through my 6 decades I have noticed the 'elders' wisdom is not sought as often. There so much wisdom within us, and it just seems to fade away.
      I have been fortunate to have sought my elders when I was younger, and never feared aging. I blog to share what I have learned, and if my age bothers one, so be it.
      Everyone ages, as you stated and if I can continue to pass down that the older people are their elders and carry many stories that hold a purpose; my quest is being done.

2. JDove-Miller profile image85
    JDove-Millerposted 4 years ago

I remember being young and looking up to those older than I, but then once I reached a certain age, I started to believe life had passed the older ones by, so their wisdom was out of date.  Now I'm one of the older ones, and I suspect that my wisdom is out of date.  What I know about life and relationships, though it was interesting to people 20 years ago, seems so bland and out of touch to the fast, technological lives of those who are 20 something now. Just goes to prove once again, that what goes around comes around.