Phrases, Affirmations, and Mantras to Say to Self Before Workouts

1. talfonso profile image90
    talfonsoposted 4 years ago

I used to hate exercising. I used to dread each day I have to go to the gym and have to do two hours of what I used to think as torture. Now I'm appreciating it much more and though I now exercise at home, I am seeing it more differently. I guess that changing my mindset worked.

My biggest mantra is, "Each day I work out, I love myself even more." That means that every time I do 20-30 minutes of Oxycise, an hour of circuit, or both on the same day, I begin to love myself the way I am. Second biggest is, "Feeling good often leads to looking good."

Other phrases to say to myself when I'm not in the mood for exercising include: "Mickey is always there to greet you onboard." (meaning that there might be a time when I am going on a getaway with Disney Cruise Line); "When you reach top position in your business, you'll look great" (I work at an at-home biz); "Every workout gets you closer to another vacation/party/business convention/wedding of someone;" and "Photo ops could be knocking on your door at any time."

So what do you say to yourselves when the thought of exercising gets you down?

2. Tusitala Tom profile image89
    Tusitala Tomposted 4 years ago

I've been working out at gyms or at home for fifty-six years.  I started at twenty doing Olympic type weight lifting.  Now retired seventeen years I still work out two or three times a week.  However, I don't - and I advise you not to - stay two hours or more at the gym.   I normally work out for 90 minutes.  20 minutes cardio, around 15 at the end doing abdominals and yoga stretches, the rest 'pumping iron.'     

Incidentally, my body weight hasn't varied much since I was in my twenties.  I put on some bulk - muscle - between 20 and 55 or so, and now, with age, have fallen back to my 20 year-old bodyweight, so I can only think "I must be doing something right."

I've never been a fitness fanatic.  Just wanted to keep strong and fit enough to forget about my body so I can get on with my life.   My advice to you is, "Do the same."   Our physicality is only a very tiny - but essential - part of what we are.

Good luck.

1. talfonso profile image90
      talfonsoposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thank you very much. I don't go to the gym anymore, and I still exercise at home for an hour to 90 minutes. But good advice anyway.