Any new medicine for HCV non responders to Interferon and Ribavirin.

1. wqaindia profile image56
    wqaindiaposted 3 years ago

One of my friends took Peg-interferon and Ribavirin therapy for HCV Genotype-1. He did not respond to the treatment and therapy failed twice due to low platelets and low TLC. He is diagnosed with Chronic Liver Disease along with splenomegaly (Spleen size 140 mm). Top hepatologist in India has advised to arrange the tablet DEBIO 0.025 (Alisporivir) manufactured by Novratris in US. Can any body tell me as to how to procure it and bring to India by my friend.

2. Healthyannie profile image72
    Healthyannieposted 3 years ago

I am pretty sure a licensed pharmacist in India should be able to import the drug for your friend.
    Novratis must have distributors in India, or alternatively there could be a generic version available.
    India is known to purchase license for many drugs, or copying drugs if there is enough demand.
    Your friend needs to improve his platelet count. Is he taking a vitamin B complex and eating freh fruit and vegetables?

3. peeples profile image89
    peeplesposted 3 years ago

"A new study from the University of California, San Francisco, just published in the European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, suggests that medical marijuana boosts the success of treatment for the hepatitis C virus (HCV). Untreated HCV can lead to liver failure and death, but in the new study, marijuana users being treated for HCV were three times more likely to have a "sustained virological response" — i.e. HCV could not be detected six months after they completed treatment."

Once thought (or so they wanted us to believe) that marijuana would make HCV patients worse there are tons of new studies coming out that prove they can stop damage to the liver by using marijuana.