jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (12 posts)

The Flu is in 47 States!

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 3 years ago

This is distressing news; the flu is in 47 states and I managed to evade the nasty bug!
    How's everyone doing? Are there many people suffering with this in your area?
    Do you have any advice to avoid it or keep it at bay?
    Keeping my fingers crossed!

1. 0
      Sarra Garrettposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I don't think it is as bad as the press is saying.  When we used to get the flu we were put in bed, tons of blankets covered us to sweat it out, warm gingerale and chicken soup.  We survived.  I personally can't have the flu shot as I have lupus and the shot has a live watered down version of the virus (don't let anyone tell you different)  I think it's all a plan to scare the masses.  No I'm not paranoid.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image84
        Uninvited Writerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Well, 18 people dying in one city is pretty bad. And flu shots do not have any live virus.

2. Xenonlit profile image61
        Xenonlitposted 3 years ago in reply to this

"I don't think it is as bad as the press is saying."  You are out of touch with reality and had better wake up soon. The public health agencies are not calling this flu an epidemic because it is good marketing. This is a serious situation. Flu shots do not have live virus but the vaccine works by making your immune system work. Where do these myths come from and why do people spread them?  Wash hands, wipe shopping carts with the disinfectant towels provided and stay home when sick.

2. melbel profile image91
    melbelposted 3 years ago

It's really bad here in Michigan/Indiana.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image84
    Uninvited Writerposted 3 years ago

It's here too but I got my flu shot and I am not worried.

4. SaritaJBonita profile image80
    SaritaJBonitaposted 3 years ago

I had the flu a week and a half ago, and it was absolutely horrible.  I had a 104 degree fever, body aches, chills, and a wicked sounding cough.  I slept for 36 hours straight, and it took about a week for me to feel back to "normal."  I still have a bit of a cough but it's getting better everyday.  The virus(es) going around are no joke... get your flu shot! (Although I did, and look at what happened to me!)

5. Barbara Kay profile image86
    Barbara Kayposted 3 years ago

I had the flu even though I got a flu shot. I am on Humira for Crohns though, so I have a poor immune system. The flu was the worst case I've had in years and years. I was down in bed 3 days which hasn't happened to me in years.

It seems to be dying down here in Michigan. In our area the emergency rooms were busiest right after the holidays. Most people have gotten it already.

6. 0
    Aleister888posted 3 years ago

Viruses and Bacterial infections are scarily interesting to me, for all the fuss and fighting we have on this earth, i dont think its really to "crazy" to think that perhaps one day (if science doesnt progress at a rapid rate) we may fall victim to a "civilization killer" disease...

No i dont mean the fear mongering nonsense where like "Everyones dead" but i mean rather mass populations affected.

However, i try to be positive and live healthy, but to the OP you raise some very interesting information, was a interesting read.

7. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 3 years ago

The Ohio Health Department reports that Ohio hit an early and higher-than-usualy peak number of flu cases reported by the end of December 2012, with a huge decline of over 40% reduction in cases reported for the 3 weeks ending Jan. 12. During Week 2 in Ohio, the state had 589 reported cases in a total population 11.54 million, only 0.005%, and an average of only 7 per county. Fortunately, only 1 child died from the flu in the state; no adults.

Our vaccine is reportedly effective against strains H3N2, H1N1 and influenza B; but not "influenza A H3N2v" and the last case in Ohio of the final strain mentioned was reported on 9/14/2012. 

A former Cincinnati healthcare worker sued her hospital for $650,000 for firing her for refusing a flu shot and the case is on the docket for July 2013.

I don't know anyone here myself that has had the flu and most of those people accepted a flu shot. 

I have never had any strain of flu, even though I have been exposed many times, and have never had a flu shot, because of a sensitivity to the chicken egg protein involved. However, a non-egg produced vaccine is now on the market and if I were a healthcare worker, I would acceopt the latter one in order to protect patients. 

A close relative survived the Spanish Flu of 1918 - 1919 and it was horrendous, masses of people dying.

8. RTalloni profile image87
    RTalloniposted 3 years ago

Wide spread in the SE.  Knocked me for a loop, but starting to feel the recovery.  Did not get the shot; husband did and he has not come down with it, so far.  However, friends and acquaintances in the medical profession who were required to get the shot have been dropping with the flu, indicating that the various strains are all hitting hard.  I don't think my symptoms were as bad as many peoples'.  Took zinc products the first few days, and elderberry supplement before and during, along with extra vitamin c and d throughout the ordeal.  How well someone endures and recovers from the flu probably depends a lot on their basic health condition and how well they care for themselves during the illness.  Drinking plenty of water and juice, eating good-for-us-food as opposed to junk, and rest, rest, rest, is vital to a good recovery.

9. Kathryn L Hill profile image83
    Kathryn L Hillposted 3 years ago

The flu hits where people do not eat very well. Here in California, we eat a lot of fresh vegetables and fruits. This state has the lowest statistics as far as flu cases.
    And yeah, chicken soup, you guys!
    And stop with the Flu shots already!
    We gotta get back to basics as far as diet.
    And Stop with the pharmaceuticals too while we're on the subject of natural health.
    If you don't listen to Mother Nature, she'll box yer ears!
    So, yeah, stop listening to the media too!
    Oh! and stay home on the weekends and stop using and paying for GAS!
    Its all for the sake of good health.
    Mental health too!