What are your thoughts with online fitness programs?

1. Prima723 profile image61
    Prima723posted 3 years ago

They are not for everyone.  There are gyms with personal trainers, videos and books, but now we have the internet to take into account as well.  Books don't offer feedback, videos restrict you to the TV and personal trainers are expensive.  What about the online stuff.  Is it educational, supplement driven, unrealistic, easily accessible?  Do they provide feedback and guidance or are they impersonal?

2. Critical Thinker1 profile image80
    Critical Thinker1posted 3 years ago

Like any fitness program you must make sure it is created by a qualified professional, it is safe, tested and appropriate for your physical abilities. As a fitness professional, my biggest worry is safety. If you are learning movement from a website there is no feedback to let you know if you are executing it correctly. Much of this has to do with body awareness: "the ability to recognize different parts of one's own body, and their relative positions." Some people have good body awareness and can safely follow many movements from simply watching a demonstration. A mirror is a good way to check that you are moving like the online example. Many people, however, lack body awareness and most of them don't know it. I have spent hours trying to help someone execute a lunge properly and regardless of the ways (demonstrating, correcting, different cues, mirrors and more) and the different words I use they just can't do it correctly. In that case, there is a safer form of exercise. I would recommend looking into high quality online exercise programs if you have experience in the type of movements in the program (dance, body resistance training, impact exercises) and know you can perform them safely.