Stroke -- did not see that coming!

Jump to Last Post 1-36 of 36 discussions (49 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Hi Hubber Friends,
    I've been offline for  a couple of weeks.
    Suffered a basal ganglia hemorrahage(aka STROKE) on January 8th!

Luckily Hubby was here and recognized the symptoms right away. i knew something was amiss. Trying to brush my hair and the brush would not touch the hair. My left hand (and I am left-handed) was curled and the fingers would not uncurl. I was also drooling coffee out of the left side of my mouth.
    And apparently slurring my words!

I'm incredibly grateful that it was not more profound.
    i'm almost back to full functionality already and they expect full recovery.
    But I will tell you, I took for granted my computing abilities.
    Typing is difficult as my fingers want to hit the wrong keys still.And getting the damned cursor to go where I want -- so frustrating!

Just wish they could tell me the cause. Then i would adjust my lifestyle. But I had none of the risk factors -- except possibly family history. Being adopted, that is a giant ? for me.

My neighbor across the street, a male, had the exact same stroke. Crazy, isn't it?

Please educate yourself on the signs and symptoms. Acting quickly could save someone's life!

http://www.stroke.org/site/PageServer?p … orrelation

Happy to be here to share my experience!
    MM

1. Pamela Kinnaird W profile image84
      Pamela Kinnaird Wposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I, too, am sorry to learn you had a stroke and happy to know you are here to tell the story.  My mom had something like that happen three years ago.  Mom and Dad were driving along in the car and suddenly my mom slumped sideways but for some reason she didn't think anything was wrong.  Like your husband, my dad knew right away and against her wishes, he turned the car around and raced to the hospital which was only six blocks away -- whereas where they live is 60 minutes from the hospital. 

I hope you have a full return to energy and health.

2. princesswithapen profile image89
      princesswithapenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Joining the entire HP community in withing you a quick, happy and healthy recovery MM.

Princesswithapen

3. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Get back to full health soon!

4. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

MM - you are far too young to have a stroke (I'm putting you in the same age bracket as your WW avatar, which I covet, btw).  I know at least two women, good friends of mine, who had strokes at around age 40. Both are okay now, but it scared all of us.  They believe birth control pills contributed to the problems. 

Take care of yourself!!  Sending hugs and prayers -

5. profile image0
      Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mightymom.  I'm so glad you are in recovery and am so sorry to hear the news.  Another sign is if you can't raise your arms over your head.  I am so glad you are back.  Don't get too frustrated you can recover!

6. jantamaya profile image59
      jantamayaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Knowing how concerned and loving our HubPages friends are you should feel much better already! See, wouldn't have happened ... You would never know how much we care... :-)
      I'm sure that you'll regain strength and fitness within a few days.
      Congrats for the speedy recovery.
      Sending some get-well thoughts I'm looking forward to your next hubs. Don't give up and type! This is a good exercise.
      Take care.

7. Quilligrapher profile image73
      Quilligrapherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Welcome back, MM. We missed you. I missed you! I too hope everything returns to "normal" real soon. Getting back online after just two weeks is encouraging. Stick with the physical therapy sessions suggested for as long as you can because they are the best and only ways to achieve a maximum recovery.  Good luck to you and keep on posting. We will give you a pass, well let's say lots of passes, on shpellink errors.
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg

8. Jenn-Anne profile image75
      Jenn-Anneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So glad to hear you are well on the road to full recovery!  And thank you so much for sharing this!  I had a good friend who had a stroke last year at the age of 49. She has a family history, high blood pressure and had suffered a "mini-stroke" previously, and yet neither her employer nor her family recognized the signs so it was many hours before she went to the hospital. Fast treatment is critical to minimizing the damage. I'm happy to say my friend is doing much better now, but the road to recovery has not been easy and ten months later she still has a way to go. Best wishes to you!

2. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 11 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear you had a stroke!
    Hope for a full recovery for you.

3. snakeslane profile image80
    snakeslaneposted 11 years ago

MM- How frightening, glad to hear you are on the mend. Thanks for sharing your close call. Thankfully hubby was there to help!

4. SmartAndFun profile image93
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

Oh wow! I'm so sorry to hear of this but glad you are doing well! Great to see you back at the keyboard and at HP!

5. Hmrjmr1 profile image67
    Hmrjmr1posted 11 years ago

I join the chorus of well wishers, glad you are doing OK may take some time for full functionality to return but sounds like you are well on the way. God Bless

6. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 11 years ago

wow again....so good to know you are online and typing away...and good to know a full recovery is expected!....peace and good wishes your way!

I regularly donate to heart and stroke because of my father....years ago people didn't recover very well from strokes....the medical knowledge and response is so much better now!

i'm glad you shared MM!

7. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

I was just thinking about YOU. I was sitting watching the Inaugural Ball and you came to my mind, and I wondered if something had happened!  WOW, how scary for you.  I'm happy to hear you are getting better.  It's great that your husband was there and recognized the symptoms.  I hope all goes well for you, with a full recovery.  We missed you!

8. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 11 years ago

Holy crap! I'm so glad you are okay. Wow, scary. Our stupid bodies are so... squishy. Take care of yourself. Eat a carrot or something.

9. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years ago

So sorry that happened to you, but glad help was at hand.  I wish you a full and speedy recovery.  It is a concern as we age....I worry about that myself....
    Thank you for sharing the important information.

10. Stina Caxe profile image81
    Stina Caxeposted 11 years ago

I'm very sorry you had to go through that.  I hope you get well soon.  It's so scary the things that can happen to our bodies with no warning what-so-ever.  Take care of yourself and thank you for posting the important information.

11. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years ago

Very scary, so glad you had hubby nearby to help you and that you are on the mend. My Sister (now 48) had a stroke when she was just 28, and the doctors said they would probably never know what caused it. Apparently something as simple as being put on the wrong kind of contraceptive pill or even just going through a really stressful period in your life years earlier can trigger a stroke many years later. It can be virtually impossible to know why you had it and if you could have avoided it.

Hope you make a fully recovery. Sister is mostly okay now, but still struggles with memory issues and specific hand movements, plus having a limp on her right leg when she gets tired. Hopefully your was minor in comparison judging by your description of your progress so far.

Thinking of you and wishing you well smile

12. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

Sorry to hear that, MM.  It's scary - I know from a heart attack a few years ago. 

Hope you get well soon, and along those lines - might a mouse help rather than the touch pad?  larger movements at all?

13. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 11 years ago

Omg, that's horrible.  Well I'm glad to hear your recovering well, and I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. I wish I had noticed this forum sooner to comment, but I do wish you well though.

14. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 11 years ago

I hope you have a speedy recovery and get good and reassuring advice from your medical team.  Your husband did a good job of getting you the help you needed as it can be difficult to identify the signs.

15. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 11 years ago

I know it is a powerful way to lose most of your health in one single event.

Mind you it had taken 3 strokes to finally lay low my father permanently.

Get well soon and here's to a speedy recovery.

16. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 11 years ago

Hey, lady....don't scare people that way!  Although, it's a MUCH better post than one from your hubby saying things had turned out differently.  Speedy healing and improved health moving forward are my wishes for you!

Need I say that we love you so?  Yes, I think it needs to be said. 

We love you so - and welcome back!

big_smile

17. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

That is scary, take care.

18. donotfear profile image83
    donotfearposted 11 years ago

Yikes!
    That came out of nowhere.  What a scary thing to endure.  Sending you some positive encouragement.

19. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

Oh, MM - so sorry to hear this. You must have been scared to death! Glad you're doing better. I wondered where you were. Take care of yourself! Sending cyber hugs, prayers, and good thoughts.

20. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 11 years ago

Wow, so sorry to hear that MM!   Glad you're ok and on the mend!  Take care!

21. profile image0
    The Quiz Masterposted 11 years ago

Scarey!

Glad to hear you are on the mend, take it easy and try not to stare at computer screens too much.

I have turned the brightness on monitor right down because I was getting headaches and a sharp pain in my left eye, I put it down to bright TV screens.

I hope you make a full recovery, I like your hubs!

Take care.

22. Rosie2010 profile image68
    Rosie2010posted 11 years ago

I just came across this post.  Omg, that was definitely a very scary experience.  I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better. Thanks for sharing your experience, MM.  Take care.

23. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

I'm really sorry to hear your news MM, but so pleased to hear that you're on the mend and by all accounts determined to make a full recovery. Remember though, not too much too soon, and take it easy every now and then. smile

24. Mighty Mom profile image78

Heartfelt THANKS to ALL who posted here.
    It's been isolating. I guess that is the point. The universe wants me to calm down, slow down and live more simply.
    Thank GOD this didn't happen before Election Day! But who knows how much all that frantic "debating' could have contributed. Tee hee.
    Who knows. Maybe my body has been in fight or flight mode for so long it spazzed out when the family crises stopped.

Anyway, very grateful to be back here. Equally grateful not to see any wise acre comments from the 'other side' to the effect 'Based on your politics, we assumed you'd had one years ago."
    lol lol

25. Mighty Mom profile image78

The Stroke Team said they've seen a lot of 40something patients.
    And mentioned that I had the "young people's" not the "old people's" kind of stroke.
    If that's supposed to make me feel better, it didn't.
    As so many of us know from personal and loved ones' experience: disease does not discriminate on the basis of age.
    sad

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm a forty something too, MM. But it's great to see that that wicked sense of humour of yours is still very much evident. wink

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
        Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

EDIT: I was referring to your last post about the 'other side'. smile

26. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

It s a scary process to go through. My dad had a series of strokes before passing. I hope you take care. A clot can develop without much warning sometimes..

27. Mighty Mom profile image78

Sure wish I could at least serve as an anti-example here.
    Don't do what iI did -- whatever it was!

Seriously. Grateful to be able to share this experience. Compared to what other hubbers have endured, this ain't nothing.
    Today is the most important day any of us will ever have.
    Do something to make someone's day brighter.
    You've all just done that for me!
    Thank you!!
    MM

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image88
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Best wishes for your ongoing recovery! I've not heard of "young people's stroke" but will look it up iun the medical library. Anyway, you have alerted us to be aware and on the lookout for stroke symptoms, which is so important to remember.

Stroke Teams are saving many lives these days. A lady I know who is a doctor was having a stroke 6 years ago, called 911, and her own doctor did not believe her at the ER. The docs could have administered meds to break up a clot, but did not. My friend had a full stroke and has fully recovered, but is still angry and scared about the medical system in her St. Louis hospital.

Best health to you now for many decades!

Patty

2. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're back!  (saw a post in another thread and had to run check this one out).  Good to see - I presume that healing and recovering is proceeding well?

28. e-five profile image93
    e-fiveposted 11 years ago

Glad you were able to get medical attention in time.  I was wondering where you had been hiding!  Get well soon.

29. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 11 years ago

I'm still saying that carrot thing I mentioned is probably a good idea.

Oh, and beer. Booze thins your blood so it can't coagulate and stuff. I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure I might be on to something there. Maybe anyway. Just saying.  The carrot thing is solid for sure, though.

1. Silva Hayes profile image77
      Silva Hayesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Because of your comment, I went to Google and read a wealth of information about carrots and I'm going to go eat a raw carrot right now!  and keep eating them often.  I had no idea they were such a powerhouse of a vegetable.  Thanks!

30. mperrottet profile image82
    mperrottetposted 11 years ago

How frightening for you - so glad that you are O.K.  My daughter-in-law suffered a mild stroke at 43 from a combination of heredity and taking birth control pills.  She had a full recovery, as I am hoping you will have.  Sending you lots of good thought for a speedy recovery.

31. Mighty Mom profile image78

Carrots rock.In carrot cake, absolutely divine food.
    Booze -- my personal feeling on that is pickling your insides is one of the smartest health moves anyone can make. It's tricky though. You have to use just the right amount and not too much.
    Or unforseen and nasty consequences can occur.
    That is one of the questions I remembering them asking me in the ER. Along with smoking, heroin, cocaine and crack.

Heard a lot of that drug that needs to be administered ASAP. My type of stroke would not benefit from that. They did not give me any blood thinning drugs. Also said nothing in my bloodwork suggests any need for blood drugs.

But main message here is TIME. Do the FAST or STR symptoms test. Call 911. Better safe than sorry.

32. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

MM - did they tell you what the difference was in an Old People's Stroke vs a Young Person's Stroke?  Does it behave differently?  Symptoms?  Hmmmm - I agree; not sure that would make me feel any better, either.

33. Mighty Mom profile image78

Yes. The other type of stroke 'ischemic" is more common (87%) and caused by a clot breaking free.. My type is relatively rare (13%) and could be an inherited weakeness in the arteries in my brain.

The old people type -- typical risk factors are chronic untreated high blood pressure. High cholesterol.
    Diabetes, etc. Obesity. Lack of exercise.

Also smoking (esp. combined with birth control pills) alcohol abuse, drug abuse. No cocaine or heroin in my background. Although drug abuse is leading cause of stroke in young people.

MM

34. John Holden profile image60
    John Holdenposted 11 years ago

MM, only just picked up on this thread!
    Sorry to hear of your problems, I had an ischemic two years ago and thought for about a week that I was a vegetable, but now sometimes forget that I had a stroke.
    You can too. I think the key is not adopting an invalid mentality and carrying on as much as normal.

Anyway, best of luck and glad you are ok.

35. CASE1WORKER profile image60
    CASE1WORKERposted 11 years ago

So sorry to hear this; at least you now have a chance to get better. I hope that you take it easy and follow doctors advice - take care of yourself and have a lot of rest time
    A boy in my sons class had a stroke in September and he was only 15- now back at school

36. ABWright profile image57
    ABWrightposted 11 years ago

Very sorry to hear of your injury, but want to share my story with you to hopefully be a voice of encouragement!  In Nov,2011at38 years old, I suffered a hemmhoragic stroke.  I had emergency brain surgery to relieve the blood and spent a month in ICU then a month in neuro ward, followed by two months in rehab hospital.  Mine was classified " cryptogenic" AKA no known cause, although over the last year the theories that have developed centre around my aura migraines and birth control. 
    I left the wheelchair behind almost a year ago and only have a few physical challenges, not the least of which is I have become horribly out of shape and gained quite a bit of weight!   One of my biggest issues is with fine motor skills of my left hand.  After testing, significantly weaker than my right, not as much dexterity and I cannot write properly ( am left handed).  Working to find some specialized treatment to regain this, although with technology this is not such a big deal.  One recommendation I would have for anyone recovering from TBI/ABI is to seek specialized care where possible.  For example, I work with a neuro-physio, and credit this to my near miraculous physical recovery.  I am happy to report I am returning to work next month and I show no cognitive deficits following neuro psyche testing.  I am a SVP at a large investment company, so this was a big deal!   So, back to work next month and my 40th birthday! ( which I truly didn't expect to see for a while at the beginning of all of this!).  Keep up the positive attitude too, many involved in my care have attributed my great recovery to my being a Super A personality-LOL!  No victim mentality allowed!   I wish you a speedy and complete recovery and continued good health.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)