jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Where Do I Go From Here?

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image77
    schoolgirlforrealposted 3 years ago

I was diagnosed bipolar at 16. I was put on lithium from 16-36 (20yrs). It numbed/confused my mind and my emotions and I'm left to pick up the pieces now, I have been off it for over a year, and here I am!

So for one, I don't hold anger about it, but it stunted my emotional growth. I am learning to be a person in the real world now, not some numbed up strange existence. Where do I go from here? I keep practicing life "skills" and coping with normal ups and downs.

I am leaning very fast. I am "awake". I am "aware." I feel better but also have more challenges.
    A lot of my feelings scared the crap out of me---feelings I had not had in 20yrs that I had to learn to manage.

Sometimes I feel like I'm 17 (37-20).

1. Deborah Brooks profile image41
      Deborah Brooksposted 3 years ago in reply to this

My dear sweet friend.. You are learning Rochelle is right.. and I am so proud of you.. Life is hard to understand.. but sometimes we make it harder then it really is.. I have done this to my self over and over.. You are such a blessings to me.. You are a wonderful person.. I am so glad to know you.. Just hang in there and every day  will get a little better but even if sometimes we have to step back and regroup that's okay too.
      many blessings my prayers are always with you

2. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 3 years ago

Sounds like you are finding your way., but you're still " in school".  I think we all are, in  some way-- we all have challenges and that IS what makes us alive. Best wishes in your new journey.

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image77
      schoolgirlforrealposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks !

3. Gypsy Rose Lee profile image63
    Gypsy Rose Leeposted 3 years ago

You are to be admired for surviving and continuing on with life. Just keep faith and the Lord by your side. Wishing you the very best the future is sure to get brighter. Lots of love and hugs to you.

4. Jennifer Bart profile image60
    Jennifer Bartposted 3 years ago

I got off lithium about a year ago and I feel so much better but I still have to take meds. The best advice I can give you as a Bipolar person is keep doing what you are doing but be careful. Be aware of when your going into an episode and keep track of your symptoms. I admire the fact that you are learning how to cope with it because the drugs will only take you part of the way to recovery I had a lot of the same issues with the numbness and I felt the same way as far as emotional growth. My advice is to talk to your doctor know your illness and if need be seek help. I have a therapist that I see every week for me it is helpful to talk to her. There are many other options as far as medication goes. I wish you the best and hope this helps. Stay strong the journey is worth the fight.