jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Angelina Jolie's mastectomy

1. novascotiamiss profile image92
    novascotiamissposted 3 years ago

Angelina's breast removal came as a big shock to the world. After all, she didn't actually have breast cancer but made her decision based on her supposedly great risk of developing breast cancer. To some people Angelina Jolie has become a role model for women while for others, she's a self-mutilating freak. What is your personal opinion based on the fact that her mother died of breast cancer at an early age and she carries the same high-risk genes. According to experts, by undertaking this preventative mastectomy she could lower her breast cancer risk from over 80% down to approx. 5%. I'm interested in this topic  as I've already had to undergo two biopsies which both have turned out to be benign tumors that didn't need to be removed.  But every time I go for my check-up I'm worried that I might get bad news so I can definitely sympathize with Angelina.

2. 0
    Beth37posted 3 years ago

I thought the majority of the secular world supported a woman's choice to do whatever she wants to her own body. This actually is *only her body. I figure she made the best choice she could, based on medical advise. That's that.

3. Zelkiiro profile image85
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

How DARE some woman I've never met remove her breasts for personal reasons that don't involve me whatsoever?!

1. 0
      Beth37posted 3 years ago in reply to this

stop following me

4. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 3 years ago

I think Angelina Jolie made a wise decision having a preemptive double mastectomy.
    I am hoping the incredible attention this is getting will raise awareness and encourage
    otherthis  women to have genetic testing to determine their risk.
    However, if it turns out that the test Angelina Jolie had is only available to people of means, that severely diminishes the example she sets to others.