jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Thinking about going sugar-free

1. healthygurl profile image82
    healthygurlposted 3 years ago

Our family of four(2 adults and 2 kids under 4) has decided to cut out the sugar. Help! We need some help with kid friendly sugar-free alternatives (our 3 year old is addicted to processed snacks). Also meal planning and snack planning help. Any hubers have some tips to share?

1. renegadetory profile image95
      renegadetoryposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It's funny how kids (and us grown-ups) really like our processed, sugary treats!
      My kids are no different (ages 3 and 20 months), but only slightly so since I only buy junkie stuff once in a while.
      My advice as a parent is to wean them so to speak and just make changes in other areas and they will adjust.  For example, my kids love chocolate milk and I was buying the Nesquick syrup, but realized it has a a lot of sugar in it.  So I switched to Ovaltine and use less then what it calls for to make chocolate milk and my kids drink it just the same but they are getting much less sugar and they only have chocolate milk once a day.

We no longer buy white bread, I do not buy any sugar cereals, and I always make sure to have plenty of fresh fruit which is out new dessert!  The kids don't seem to mind.

Try finding some time to make your own cookies or treats that call for less sugar and use fruit instead for snacks.

Don't buy junkie sweet stuff anymore.  If it ain't int he house, then it won't be eaten!  This works for mommy too :-)

Hope this helps!

healthygurlposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Good, sensible tips. Thank you! After my grocery trip tonight, I'm realizing that bread will be have to be taken out the equation (refine sugars are in everything!), but my 3 year old loves his bread. I figure I'll still give him his bread and (sugar-free) peanut butter and I'll find an alternative for myself.

2. Tonipet profile image84
    Tonipetposted 3 years ago

What a healthy mom. Thought you might find pineapple a wonderful natural sweetener. I have been blending greens like cucumber and leaves for morning snacking. Since the taste is sure not enjoyable even for adults, I juiced a bit ripe pineapple and blend in - 1 small size is enough to sweeten a blender-full pitcher. It's even great with juiced carrots. My kid niece tried it and say "hmnnn, it's yummy" so I presumed it works for kids, lol.

It's going to be a lot of challenges from this day on then...:smile Share your discoveries to us, one day :smile
    Would love to hear from you... keep it up! Hugs from me...:smile-Tonette

healthygurlposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the tips Tonipet! I am in the process of documenting our family's sugar-free adventure in my next hub. Stay tuned!

3. healthygurl profile image82
    healthygurlposted 3 years ago

I wrote my article on my family's sugar-free challenge. Enjoy!
    http://healthygurl.hubpages.com/hub/Liv … -challenge