Suicide Survivors - The Untold Story

1. 60
    michaelareddposted 2 years ago via iphone

People don't like to talk about suicide. "It's too painful," they say. And while that is most definitely true, it is something that NEEDS to be talked about.

To those of you who have ever genuinely considered suicide, or perhaps are thinking about it right now, take a step back - figuratively - and think about the people in your life. Think of how they would feel if you ended your own life.

To those of you who believe that no one - not even your family or friends - would care that you're dead, you're wrong. Even if you don't have family or friends, you're wrong.

Let me tell you my story.

I grew up sheltered and unhappy. I had "daddy issues" and an pathological fear of abandonment (still do). I also struggled with depression. I found comfort in a girl. She was the only friend I ever felt truly understood me, because she had a lot of the same issues.

If you've ever had a best friend, you know the feeling. You do everything together. You talk about everything. You spend crazy amounts of time together, doing the most random or stupidest things. But it doesn't matter how stupid or pointless they are, because you enjoy spending time together. When you're having family problems, you just call your friend the both of you escape to somewhere no one knows.

That was us. Notice I say "was," because she's gone now. She killed herself a few months ago.

Why am I telling you this? Because she felt alone. She felt like life wasn't worth living anymore and she was wrong. Not only did it break my heart and that of her family and other friends, but there were people at her funeral, who'd only met her once or twice and were crying buckets. Buckets. The number of people that this girl impacted just in her day-to-day life (without even realizing it) just blew me away.

So I thought about others, those who think they're alone, who think no one would care or miss them when they're gone. Everyone is missed by someone. And you don't know the effect you have on others, until it's too late.

There is help. There are hotlines you can call if you need someone to talk to. If you don't like talking on the phone, there are private chats, agents who volunteer their time and energy to prevent things like my friends death from happening to other people.

I, personally, promise to be there for support if anyone (even some random stranger) were to text me or email me saying that they needed a friend, or just someone to vent to. Because I've been there and I want to help, just like so many others. I want to help you.
    Reach out. If you need help, reach out.

2. 0
    Beth37posted 2 years ago

Suicide Hotline
    USA  1-800-273-8255
    International: … isis_lines