jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

First bout of feeling old and dated

1. ThompsonPen profile image82
    ThompsonPenposted 2 years ago via iphone

I discovered in my boyfriend's Wii that he had Super Mario Brothers 2. I got super excited and started playing. When he made fun of me for doing so badly, I heatedly defended myself by reminding him it had been 20 years since I played last.
    That sent me for a loop. I was 7!
    Then our roommate walked in, who is also our coworker and I realized that the last time I had attempted this game was before most of my coworkers, including my roommate, were born.
    Who knew video games could make me feel so old!

What was your first moment of feeling old and/or dated?

1. 0
      Beth37posted 2 years ago in reply to this

When one of my peers said just said she was 27.

1. wilderness profile image97
        wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

LOL  Right on!

2. robie2 profile image92
    robie2posted 2 years ago

I can't remember the first time.... Was it the day a store clerk called me " ma'am" instead of " miss"?  Was it the day a young woman stood back let me go through a door ahead of her? or was it the time a few years ago that I was in an antique shop and noticed toys I had played with as a child being sold as " antiques"?  I don't remember. It happens all the time and now it just makes me smile. 

I was born into a world where all telephones were black, attached to the wall, and belonged to the phone company. It was not a better world, just different, and having known that world contributes to the sense of wonder I feel when I take a picture with my iPhone, post it on facebook and then call home to see if everything is OK.  Nobody, when I was seven, could have imagined today's phones.

One day your grandchildren will look at you wide eyed and be wildly impressed that you actually played Super Mario at the age of seven and they will want to know what it was like " back then. Time marches on and the trick is to go with the flow and enjoy the ride.

3. grand old lady profile image89
    grand old ladyposted 2 years ago

I was 28 and dating a boy, and one day he asked me, "are you looking for someone in your twilight years?"

1. 0
      Beth37posted 2 years ago in reply to this

You should have hit him with a hammer.

1. grand old lady profile image89
        grand old ladyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

lol! so true...