jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder sufferers

1. MissToniMarie profile image60
    MissToniMarieposted 2 years ago via iphone

I would like to ask fellow OCD sufferers IF they have received any 'help' for the illness and if so what form?
    What helped you as an individual?
    Currently facing going down that road myself, appears hugely daunting right now and unsure of the effectiveness.
    People who understand OCD feelings please respond :-) will be great to gain different views and opinions on this

1. 0
      Dave36posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Hey MissToniMarie i suffered from a wide variety of OCD's as a young lad, & i say suffered because it exhausted my mental health....I had a thing about unplugging all the electrical sockets/plugs every morning, if i was the last one in the house....I also had the touching objects a certain amount of times, & counting letters in words then finding the middle letter etc....There is only one person who can stop these things, & that's ourselves.....If i was in your position now i would watch a series of vids on utube called: "The Oprah Winfrey Soul Series with Ecjhart Tolle", this is a set of 6 x 1hr vids all about our minds.....Give this guy a chance because he explains why those voices we hear telling us to do certain things, aren't really us at all but a thing called the ego....A voice would pop up in my head, & tell me that unless i unplugged everything in the house it would burn down etc....Now i know what that voice was/is i don't listen to it now, so watching those vids will help you to see that. :-)

1. 0

Eckhart not Ecjhart :-)

2. janesix profile image73
    janesixposted 2 years ago

I have mild OCD, but it comes and goes for the most part. Just willpower to combat it. Still, it's not a big problem for me, so I don't know how much "willpower" would work for a more intense OCD than mine.

1. 0

Hey misstonimarie could you tell us your particular OCD, maybe there might be a logical solution....I'm just wondering how i'd have felt as a lad, if i'd have told someone about me worrying about our house burning down etc....Maybe if i had they then might have explained to me, why it couldn't possibly happen.