1. BeBop1005 profile image59
    BeBop1005posted 2 years ago via iphone

I've had epilepsy since I was 11months old. Maybe since I was born. However, I was formally diagnosed at 11 months old.

I'm unable to acquire my drivers license and I've taken medication my entire life. Things seem limiting but at the same time, I know I've become a stronger person for this weakness that I've had to accommodate for.

The seizures have improved and/or become less severe as I have grown into adulthood.

As a child, I would black out as the seizure progressed, and would not remember anything happening until I "came out" of the seizure. Now, at the ripe age of 32, I only experience what the doctors call an aura. This is technically still a seizure, but when I was younger this aura would come on before my very heavy black out seizure.

According to the county I live in, I'm still unable to apply for a license, even with just the aura...I have to be seizure free for 6 months. Not the end of the world; it just makes life a little difficult-taking bus routes everywhere.

To all those who have a life changing ailment, just know that it is discouraging at times. It tests ones patients and questions your will, but it makes you appreciate everything so much more. I know I'm a stronger person, having lived through a life of epilepsy (or as I so affectionately call it, neurolepsy).