Suspicious Behaviour at the Grocery Store; being watchful.

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)
  1. profile image0
    SandCastlesposted 9 years ago

Another grocery store tale: At the grocery store (in the evening) there was a man and a woman shopping together and I immediately got a bad feeling when they passed me. They walked around the store and didn't seem to be buying anything. Then when I went to the till, they were suddenly behind me. The woman stayed to pay for the few items and the man disappeared. I payed and left the store and as I pushed my grocery cart towards my car, I noticed that man standing in the middle of the parking lot smoking a cigarette. He was close to my car. If I put my groceries in the trunk of my car I would have had to turn my back on him; he would have been directly behind me. His presence seemed strange. Why was he waiting there like that? It was a dark night and the parking lot was almost empty. There was a gas station adjacent to the parking lot but only a few people were around and they were focusing on getting gas; they weren't looking over at the grocery store parking lot. I decided to put my groceries in my back seat so I could keep a furtive eye on the man. I noticed he was watching me. And then the woman came out of the store and met the man in the middle of the parking lot and they proceeded to a car that was parked at the far end of the parking lot, near the rear parking lot exit. Why would these people, who were only getting a few items, park so far away from the store, yet not so far from my car (I had parked in the middle of the parking lot). And why would the man stand in the middle of the parking lot to wait for the woman shopping instead of waiting by his own car? Even if he didn't want to smoke in the car, why wasn't he waiting by his car? Who stands in the middle of the parking lot like that? Anybody watching would have thought my car belonged to him or that he was with me. I wondered, why didn't this man wait and walk out with the woman? It wasn't like she had a big order.  Because he needed a smoke that badly that he couldn't wait a few seconds? If  that was the case, why not wait by his own car? In instances like this, one has to question and it is okay to be paranoid in my opinion. I just read about a man who bashed a woman in a parking lot, stole her purse and car keys and took off in her car.

2. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

This is very suspicious behaviour Sandcastles. I would be very wary and wouldn't take any chances. Luckily nothing happened but I suggest you try to shop during the day or on the weekend. If you have to do it at night, have someone else with you.

1. profile image0
      SandCastlesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your suggestions Jodah. I will also get someone to walk out with me when I'm alone.

In the incident that I read about, the man had attacked the woman during the day. The creeps come out at all hours but I think nighttime attacks are more common because of the lack of visibility (they are hidden by the darkness).  During the day, the crowds and busy activity almost acts like white noise so the creep(s) attack in broad daylight. We do have to be watchful and careful. Thanks again for your comments.

3. darrensurrey profile image61
    darrensurreyposted 9 years ago

Everyone should be on yellow alert when out and about so you're wise to be cautious. As they say, better safe than sorry.

If the guy stood there for longer because he was waiting for you, just return to the shop and wait until he goes. As I say, better safe than sorry.

I say this as someone who has studied various unarmed combat systems for years.

1. profile image0

Thanks for your comments darrensurrey. That's a good point; never be afraid to turn around and go back into the store. I think I'll start asking for a carry out.

4. profile image52
    CaliMamaposted 9 years ago

SandCastles,
    I think it's always wise to be cautious - especially, with suspicious people.  I frankly think that "gut feeling" is self-preserving.  I think I would have asked if someone could have helped me to my car, even if you didn't really need the physical assistance.  Being too careful is hardly ever regretful, but not being cautious enough certainly can be a regretful thing.  Take care.
    : ) CaliMama

1. profile image0

Hi CaliMama, thanks for replying to my forum. I felt guilty about my gut feeling at first because I thought I was being judgmental because the female who was really tall (over 6 feet) was wearing a big, over-sized plaid lumber jacket that made her look intimidating with big army boots and the man was dressed like a ninja and looked slimy, with his greasy hair pulled back into a pony tail, with stubble on is unshaven face. I don't like to judge based on looks but my gut feeling wasn't just about their look; it was about how they were behaving.  It is wise to be cautious. Thanks again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)