jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (20 posts)

Pros and cons about this in schools...

1. The Examiner-1 profile image81
    The Examiner-1posted 2 years ago

What is your opinion about students having their weight and BMI taken at school?

1. GA Anderson profile image85
      GA Andersonposted 2 years ago in reply to this

As a blind study to accumulate data, I don't have a problem with it. But, if it is tied to a student's identifying data, or if students are informed of the results - then I have a big problem.

I remember something similar in my school days. A teacher was doing a project/paper/study on walking foot alignment. As in pigeon-toed, splayed-foot, heel or toe contact etc. We all lined up and walked a dozen steps or so towards the teacher. And that was it for us. We were not told of any observations, and the data was only correlated with gender and body weight classes. (thin, normal, heavy)

GA

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I wouldn't have a problem with that, either...IF it was voluntary.  If students are forced to provide personal information (made public or not) as a part of someone's research I'd fight it all the way.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image81
        The Examiner-1posted 2 years ago in reply to this

It is for every student, it is not voluntary, and only the adults of that student see the information - not the other students. Like a report card, the data goes to the adults of the students so the parents are aware of their children's true weight.

It is not research and it is not made public.

1. GA Anderson profile image85
          GA Andersonposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Then I strongly disagree with the concept. It is none of their damn business.

GA

If their children are obese or overweight the parents would very much want to know whether their child is going to become ill.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image83
      Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I do not think weight and body mass index should be focused upon. Adults can worry about that stuff if they want for their own (usually vain) reasons. Let the kids eat right, have fun in physical activity and forget about it! good grief!

Perhaps the children refuse to tell the parents or lie to them. If the child is obese then the exact figures are necessary. The school takes the exact figures and sends them directly to the parents to make sure that they will know.

2. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 2 years ago

Taking the students weight and BMI in school is fine, as long as it is recorded confidentially in their nurses office locked away.
    I remember having the nurse come to each classroom to do ringworm and lice inspections.
    They were not very sensitive and made comments about some student's hair and lice in front of everyone. I hope that has changed.

Ringworm and especially head lice is a perpetual problem in schools, with students forever transmitting it to their fellow students.  This makes an inspection a matter of public health, where BMI and weight are most definitely not.  You can't transmit obesity to anyone.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image81

I know that it is private and that the adults and those particular students know. I do not know if the school has records, but if they do then I imagine that they are private because the other students do not know.

3. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

As a voluntary and confidential matter, why not.

4. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

I see no reason a child should not know their weight and BMI.  Simply learning a piece of info is not the same as focusing on it to the exclusion of other things. One minute of that versus the, what, 500 hours or so of PE? Not much different from when they tell you about fallopian tubes, or nutrition, or the genetic behind eye color, or anything else. Treating is as taboo would seem the fastest way to get adolescents to obsess about it.

Will a bulemic us it as an excuse to expand their activities?  Will a slightly overweight girl obsess and become bulemic?

Point being that it is not only unethical to force children to submit to such measurements, but it could cause considerable harm if revealed.

It may cause worse harm if not revealed. An obese or overweight child may decide not to take their weight and therefore not know that they are in trouble.

Possible, but I think if you look at the psychology of bulemia you will find it most often happens to children already underweight.  And obese children know they are overwieght; the cruelty of children will make that exceedingly obvious and they don't need their BMI to confirm it.

Yes, underweight is included in there. Today when I heard of this, I calculated my BMI to see where I was. In the BMI calculator there was underweight, normal weight, overweight, and obese. BMI tells you which category you are in.
            I thought I might be under but I am normal weight.

5. profile image0
    Kenn Liposted 2 years ago

I totally agree, the most important thing that a child must know is to know himself or herself first.

6. rosevillaruz profile image72
    rosevillaruzposted 2 years ago

Not really an issue, unless made public. To most people, for health reasons it is important to know their BMI's. In most cities there are some public computerized machines that tells a person if he/she is underweight, of normal weight, overweight, or obese. Very personal too some, though.

7. tillsontitan profile image91
    tillsontitanposted 2 years ago

I agree that confidentiality is the key.  If the information is used to help program in the school or benefit the children that is fine, but, the information should never be made public.  There is never an excuse to embarass a child and that includes weight and BMI.  General statistics will work just as well.

working