jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Still Recovering.

1. Arachnea profile image84
    Arachneaposted 22 months ago

I had major surgery last March (organ removal) and am frustrated that I'm not back up to burning the candle at both ends. Is it always like this?

1. peachpurple profile image78
      peachpurpleposted 22 months ago in reply to this

do take a good rest first, don't bother yourself with other stuff. Get back to your healthy state and you will have tons of time typing away

2. Kylyssa profile image94
      Kylyssaposted 22 months ago in reply to this

It depends on the organ, how sick and worn down you were at the time, how much surrounding tissue was also removed, how quickly you usually heal, and what physical and emotional stresses you've been under since.

I've had multiple surgeries of an assortment of types. Some healed faster than expected and others took a lot longer. My roommate had her ovaries, uterus, some tissue from the underside of her diaphragm, and almost all the fatty tissue inside her abdomen removed during ovarian cancer surgery last December and she still isn't up to her previous state of health and energy, although chemo surely contributed to that, too.

Organ removal is a bitch. It's very stressful on the body. Be gentle with yourself and pay attention when your body says no or even 'I don't think so' to something. Surgery is a big stress on the body.

I can speak with experience as a dumbass who rushed getting back to her 65 hour a week mostly standing job after knee surgery and gained herself a foot that's permanently partially numb.

I hope you feel like your old self again soon.

2. Kiss andTales profile image28
    Kiss andTalesposted 22 months ago

I hope for you a speedy recovery ! The body takes it's own pace even though our mind says different.
    Just like a meal it may look done on the out side but the inner needs more time to be done.
    Give your body all it needs! Take care.

1. Adventuretravels profile image83
      Adventuretravelsposted 22 months ago in reply to this

Take it real slow. I hope you don't mind this rather direct approach! Give yourself a chance to fully recover do not risk any set backs. I've been there, and you need to be patient.  You have to allow yourself this 'golden' time, give yourself permission, don't feel as though you're missing out on anything at all, and do not allow yourself to feel any guilt. ( I did and I so regretted it!)  You will be ready all in good time and then you'll be stronger. Enjoy Christmas.  Peace and Joy and Love to you x

1. Kiss andTales profile image28
        Kiss andTalesposted 22 months ago in reply to this

Well for myself I too had a major surgery Mine was from a semi hitting me on the high way 12 years ago .I had a neck fusion from my accident
        It really took a long time for my recovery. And the scar from the surgeon finally smoothed out 4 years ago.
        So I think when people hear of yours and others people's situation they try to sympathize with you ,because they too have had a similar or a worser experience.
        So it doesn't hurt to pass some positive and encouraging words.

3. Kalafina profile image78
    Kalafinaposted 22 months ago

The body is amazing but sometimes feels like it takes forever to get back to where we think we should be. You could speak to your doctor and see if there is anything to aid in getting you back to 'burning the candle at both ends.' Sometimes little changes can make a huge difference.
    Having had two TBI I understand how trying it can be. The first took me over a year to recover and the second I still struggle with. With other health problems it feels like it's taking forever and not being able to have the memory I used to be proud of? Well..it drives people close to me crazy. I've learned recovery takes usually twice the time we wish and four times the patience we start with.

4. GiftsByDiana profile image49
    GiftsByDianaposted 22 months ago

I've been there as well.  3 surgeries in 2 years for me (my Dad had 2 and my oldest had one so I was nurse for them) + raising a family and running a gift shop and losing my Mom last year so I'm helping my Dad.
    Most days I am exhausted and sore and almost want to just give up, but I wont.
    I will be thinking of you and wishing you the strength that you need to fight through this.
    There will be days when it seems too hard to handle, but then there will be better days as well  smile