jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Discovering Your Inner Strength

1. Jacqueline4390 profile image86
    Jacqueline4390posted 15 months ago

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12835441.jpg
    When I first discovered that I had Breast Cancer; I could have used this knowledge to have a "pity party." I always had yearly mammograms, I exercised and ate healthy but still it happened to me. However, instead of the "party" I see it as an opportunity to let others know of the importance of having yearly mammograms! I discovered a strength in myself that I never knew existed. I discovered a purpose that went beyond me ... it went to everybody who is at risk but don't even know it!

Have you had a mammogram? If not ... why not? (If there is history of it in your family, it is even more important!)

1. Missy Smith profile image86
      Missy Smithposted 15 months ago in reply to this

I had my first mammogram early fall 2015. I was 43 and I am 44 now. I don't have any history of breast cancer in my family. My mother had a lump back in 2000 and was scheduled for a biopsy, but when they took her back to do the procedure the little lump she had was gone. So, other than that, I don't know of any in my family that has had this gene; Praise God!  I was alright too. My results were negative of any signs and I will be scheduled for another mammogram next year.

This is so important and it's great you brought this discussion up. I hope a lot will participate in answering and talking about this. Men should get in on the conversation too. It is not only limited to women, most don't think of men getting it, but they can. Even if you just have a story of a loved one. A good supportive conversation to have here.

I usually only comment once in the forums, but I love to come back and read others perspectives and opinions. smile Godspeed Jaqueline4390!

1. Jacqueline4390 profile image86
        Jacqueline4390posted 15 months ago in reply to this

Thank you Missy for sharing! It is wonderful when people are made aware that Breast Cancer doesn't have to be a death sentence. With a positive attitude and awareness lives can be saved!

Please feel free to post often and God bless!

2. Jacqueline4390 profile image86

I cannot over emphasize the need for early detection. If you are NOT 40 years or older, please continue self examination. If you are OVER 40 years old make sure you get a baseline examination. Also be aware of your nutritional needs. Watch your weight! Exercise ... it will NOT kill you! Even gentle yoga has long range implications.

3. Jacqueline4390 profile image86

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12848373.jpg

Finished my Radiation Treatment one week ago. Still keeping a positive outlook. Very thankful for all the support I have received.

4. Jacqueline4390 profile image86

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12851934.jpg
    This is the face of a Beast Cancer Survivor ... although I've lost my Hair I have NOT lost my Hope!

working