jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

The CDC and Opioids

1. kj force profile image78
    kj forceposted 14 months ago

The CDC and government is questioning banning of ALL pain medication  use of long term patients, due to disturbing % of suicidal deaths.
    However the Medical profession is stating there is no other way to control the pain. Patients on  Opioids  ( pain killers ) are sufferings from many side effects due to the use, which in turn creates even more discomfort...perhaps this is the patients only  recourse...SUICIDE...
    What is your take on this subject ? Should this choice / decision be between patient and Physician ?
    Should the patient have the right to make decision to terminate their life ?

1. psycheskinner profile image79
      psycheskinnerposted 14 months ago in reply to this

The CDC and government are not considering banning all opioids. Nor is the FDA which is the department actually responsible to regulating access to pharmaceuticals.

1. kj force profile image78
        kj forceposted 14 months ago in reply to this

Perhaps I did not explain clearly...The ban would be on only use by long term patients, however there are some exceptions..i.e. Cancer..HIV
        The reason is due to so many negative  side effects of ( opioids ) both  physical and mental such as organ ( s ) dysfunction, chemical changes and depression which may lead to suicide.
        The other part of the question was if patients did reach these point in their life, where they could not deal with or tolerate their pain, should they be able to make the decision to end it ? Each person has a different level os pain tolerance.
        Hopefully I clarified...and by the way there are many things on the market that are not approved by the FDA, supplements for example
        Thanks for commenting....

1. psycheskinner profile image79
          psycheskinnerposted 14 months ago in reply to this

It is not a matter of how you explain it, it just isn't true. The only change that has occurred or is being considered is an educational risk management plan to try and reduce the number of people who become addicts.  No bans. If the doctor says you need it, you get it.

If you think there is even consideration of a ban, I would suggest that you post some kind of source.  I do quite a lot of work in relation to drug scheduling and REMS--and I have not hear even the slightest rumor of banning anything.

working