jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Improve your life

1. 60
    PeytonPeterposted 7 years ago

My mother aged 54, suffers from depression. There is no apparent cause for her to be depressed as all is well in my family. My sister and I are well settled. My father is in great health and has a good job. Early symptoms of depression started showing up about three years back. Sessions with the counselor have not helped much. She has been on anti-depressant drugs for quite sometime now. However, I wish there could be some way out to assist her to regain her enthusiasm for life.

2. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 7 years ago

This is my suggestion: If she can get off the anti-depressants... great! But she should maybe switch counselors, see them on a weekly basis. Have her change her daily routine. Is she sleeping too much? Not enough? Is her schedule full of activities? Then I would have her change her diet. Then I would have her find a hobby (if she doesn't have a good one already).

3. JamaGenee profile image87
    JamaGeneeposted 7 years ago

Sounds like a vitamin deficiency.  If I don't take a B12 and a B-complex tablet every day, I start feeling depreseed for no apparent reason. 

Ditto to what colebabie said: Get off the anti-depressants! They stop working after awhile and become depressants instead.

Also ditto to switching counselors!

4. 60
    Goddardposted 7 years ago

I am sorry to hear about your mum! Yes, I would be concerned for your mum also. There are alternative therapies for people suffering from depression. Have you heard of www.inspiredwomen.com.au ? It is a site on the internet, which promotes good health and well-being for women. It explains a new method of creating neurological pathways to bring about long lasting change in your life. The website has more information and explains the process and how many sessions!