jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)

Hair straightening

1. charanjeet kaur profile image60
    charanjeet kaurposted 7 years ago

Anyone who has done or had their hair straightened. Which process did you follow and what are the precautions and sideeffects one has to take?

1. 60
      ladyvenusposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Me since I have a wavy hair I have my hair rebonded its just once last year I had it on the month of march. Now my hair has grown already and I plan to have it rebonded again I still don't have time as of now. My hair in this picture is rebonded. I just went to the good hair parlor for that though a bit expensive. Wink*

2. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 7 years ago

Sorry, I only suffer from flat hair days sad did you do a search on hair Hubs smile probably find something that will help.

3. sunstreeks profile image85
    sunstreeksposted 7 years ago

Or post a request in the Q&A section. This would go good here.

4. LondonGirl profile image91
    LondonGirlposted 7 years ago

I'd leave well alone - chemical treatments take away natural shine and beauty (in my opinion)

1. 60
      ladyvenusposted 7 years ago in reply to this

well lucky for you if you already had beautiful hair. But I think parlor has its way of making our hair beautiful too. Like most actress do. Wink*

5. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 7 years ago

I am on the fence on this one.  Personally I am really cheap and whereas I do like to get my hair done every few months, I just cannot afford it anymore.  The last time I went to have my hair layered and I dyed over my highlights, it was 110 dollars!  It can be much more expensive then that at higher end salons, but cheapie me cannot afford it.  I really do not like to dye my hair, but I have a few grey ones now and want to cover these up.  I even have been watching videos on youtube and layered my own hair a month ago.  However, I find my hair is the healthiest when I do not dye it, but once again I am torn.

6. LondonGirl profile image91
    LondonGirlposted 7 years ago

I wash my hair once in a while, brush it from time to time, get it cut 2-3 times a year, and otherwise leave well alone!

7. loveprosperity profile image61
    loveprosperityposted 7 years ago

I love straight hair and of course I had to inherit wavy hair so what I do is flat iron it with a 100% ceramic straightener and I use a good conditioner the key is not to wash it everyday.
    I tried chemicals in the past and my hair was like thin strands of rubberbands// not cute//

8. girly_girl09 profile image79
    girly_girl09posted 7 years ago

I straighten my hair quite often and asked my hairdresser about it. Even if you get it done professionally, it can have bad results as it alters the protein in your hair. Everyone reacts differently. It's also pretty expensive (around $100 each time). You can get a chi hair straightener for that price.

My biggest issue with it is the fact that once your roots grow out, your frizzy/wavy/curly hair will start to show and you have to get frequent touch-ups. I'd imagine it'd look really terrible on the top of your head if, for some reason, you were unable to get a touch up on a regular basis.

Anyways, I haven't gotten it done but that's what my hairdresser told me a few months ago.

1. GeneriqueMedia profile image61
      GeneriqueMediaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I've not straightened my hair in ages..'cause I've the bulk of it cut off for now.

I just used a straightener on slightly damp hair. It frizzed out for a day, but was silky the next.

I understand there's products you could utilize...but I'm all about staying and saving green. ;P

9. frogdropping profile image84
    frogdroppingposted 7 years ago

You guys straighten your hair??

Gods - I don't even put a brush through mine lol

10. Justin Rhinehart profile image61
    Justin Rhinehartposted 7 years ago

I have quite the mess of hair, and for some reason all the womenfolk around me just love messing with it.  Your biggest concern should be temperature though.  Once upon a time, a friend of mine decided it'd be a great idea to straighten my hair before we headed off to see a Michael Bay explosion extravaganza.

Long story short:
    She borrowed straightener from Italian exchange student.
    Temperature in Celsius instead of Fahrenheit.
    Horrible smell. Dead hair. Angry teen. Date ruined.

1. girly_girl09 profile image79
      girly_girl09posted 7 years ago in reply to this

ahhhh! This makes me cringe! Burnt hair is one of the most vile smells that I have ever smelled before in my life.