jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (17 posts)

What's NORMAL?

1. aka-dj profile image78
    aka-djposted 8 years ago

What would you say is "normal"? If the majority of people do or act or speak in a prticular way, is that normal? Is normal an accepted (arbitrary) standard within a society?
    Are you normal?
    Could a minority view be considered normal?
    What do you think? Give examples to illustrate, (if you like). smile

1. profile image0
      MangoGirlposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Only a minority view can be considered normal. We all know that the masses are unpredictably stupid.

2. Curious Traveller profile image83
    Curious Travellerposted 8 years ago

I would define, "Normal," as being anything which complies with an established pattern or falls within an established set of parameters.

For example, snow falling on an Alpine ski slope in January would be normal, whereas bright sunshine and ninety degree heat would not. Eating three or four square meals a day would be described as normal, whereas eating ten would not.

Are you a philosopher, perchance?

aka-djposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Why do you ask?
      Do I sound like one?
      Is that normal?

3. Mrvoodoo profile image60
    Mrvoodooposted 8 years ago

Hmmmmm, I guess a minority view can be considered normal within that minority, i.e. styling ones hair into a bright green mohawk might not seem normal within the larger population, but within the large punk subculture a bright green mohawk is perfectly acceptable, or normal.

I would consider my self more abnormal than normal, but I guess for people like me, I'm pretty normal. smile

4. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 8 years ago

Every society is different and have their own ideas about *normal* tongue a universal normal would be nice tho, lol

1. Colebabie profile image60
      Colebabieposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I would hate to have a universal "normal." "Normal" is a standard by which others are measured. A universal normal? How boring would that be.

5. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 8 years ago

If you're speaking in medical terms, "normal" is used to describe what is healthy, like WNL. But the definition changes with the person of course.

6. Dame Scribe profile image60

I was referring to more of a *peaceful* relations with other countries hmm sorry if that sounds boring.

7. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 8 years ago

I suppose normalizing things such as human rights etc. would be great. But normalizing culture, language, dress, attitudes, etc. would be awful.

8. Dame Scribe profile image60

I would be bored to tears if everybody on the globe dressed like us too, lol

9. Rockwell Fitness profile image67
    Rockwell Fitnessposted 8 years ago

"Normal" is the opposite of ME................

10. profile image0
    SarahMichelleposted 8 years ago

LOL I agree with Rockwell...my feelings exactly:)

11. Liquid_Vitamins profile image60
    Liquid_Vitaminsposted 8 years ago

There's no such thing as "normal"

We are all created unique, not normal.

aka-djposted 8 years ago in reply to this

So unique is normal?

12. profile image0
    Chopsticksposted 7 years ago

Normal to me means the standard of what society considers "normal".  Society determines what is "normal" and "not normal".  Normality is Conformity.  I think... smile

13. dingdong profile image61
    dingdongposted 7 years ago

I think I'm Normal, but does it mean healthy? wink

working