Best over-the-counter pain pills for back pain

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (25 posts)
  1. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

My back is a nightmare.  It loves to act up about once per month and it can be downright debilitating.  Does anyone have any opinions on the best pain meds?  I'm talking over the counter here, will not take narcotics. 

What about stretching exercises?  Homeopathic remedies?  I have 3 kids and need to get better fast.

Thanks!

1. tksensei profile image61
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Jameson, straight up.

1. getpaidtopost profile image41
        getpaidtopostposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. profile image0
      Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Try drinking two big (16 oz.) glasses of water. I know, it sounds too simple, but it works. I had chronic back pain, and water, along with a few stretches, eased it. So much so that I don't get those pains at all anymore.

Dehydration causes most pains, as well as a lot of other stuff.  Look at the book "Your Body's Many Cries for Water" by Dr. Batmanghelidj. The man is brilliant. His premise is that 80-90% of ALL our medical problems come from dehydration. And he's proved a lot of his theories.

Obviously, the medical establishment goes back and forth between being up in arms and ignoring his claims. After all, where do they fit in if all you need is water?

Take a look. It's well worth it.

1. profile image0
        wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey, I will try it.  I know most people are in a constant state of dehydration.  Plus, I try to avoid taking any medications if at all possible...  Naturally, my back is better now, but I will bear it in mind for next time.  And, oh YES, there WILL be a next time.  Thanks for the tip.

2. curiozities profile image60
    curiozitiesposted 14 years ago

It's not a pill but what I do when I have back pain is I put on a Salonpas patch.  It's kind of like a plaster.  It heats up after you put it on and it helps me.  You can find it at Walgreen's, it comes in a bright yellow package.

3. Capable Woman profile image61
    Capable Womanposted 14 years ago

Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory.

Take that and put an ice pack on for 15 minutes, then take it off for 10. Repeat. This forces the muscles to contract and expand.

Chiropractor told me so and it works for me. Heat feels good, but cold actually helps the problem (and thereby feels good longer).

Good luck.

4. profile image0

Thank you both.  I've never heard of a salonas patch.  Will google for more info!

5. HealthCare Basics profile image60
    HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years ago

Ibuprophen works great for me. The over the counter strength is only 200 mgms. Physicians write scripts for the 800 mgm dose which means you can take four 200 mgm tablets to get the best bang for your buck. Just make sure you have some food in your stomach.

1. getpaidtopost profile image41

That is way to much, you should not increase the amount of ibuprofen but should add another pain killer and take both together with ibuprofen you can also take paracetamol or co-codamol. however do not mix co-codamol and paracetamol together as you could overdose but either of the two along with ibuprofen is ok. Check with your doctor if in any doubt. Another thing is if most pain killers your should eat first.

6. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I agree with 800 mg ibuprofen and ice when the back spasm starts.

If I have a busy day on my feet and lifting, but no immediate spasm then I wear one of those wonderful stick on heat patches which I love.

Walking at least 45 minutes every day has helped me a great deal as well as 1 1/2 hour of yoga (I use Peggy Cappy's Back Care Basics)

I take 2 ibuprofen every a.m to keep inflamation at bay.

7. profile image0

The only problem with the Ibuprophen is that it totally irritates my stomach, even if I eat.  I can handle smaller doses, but not 800 mg.  I have GERD (I'm really sounding like a hypochondriac here), so my stomach gets easily irritated.  Thanks all for the recommendations.

8. LondonGirl profile image82
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

I'd see a doctor, get hte problem diagnosed and sorted out, rather than just treating the pain.

1. profile image0

Thanks, LondonGirl.  I have been to numerous doctors and they all tell me it's muscular.  I'm pretty much over visiting doctors- all they do is prescribe narcotics.  I am considering going just to get an Rx for physical therapy.

9. LondonGirl profile image82
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

Maybe a chiropracter or osteopath, then?

10. getpaidtopost profile image41
    getpaidtopostposted 14 years ago

For a normal healthy person on no medication you can take 500mg of ibuprofen and 1000mg of paracetamol, you can take both at the same time or you can take like every 2-3 hours remember though do not take more than 1500mg of ibuprofen per 24 hours and no more than 6000mg of paracetamol. If you suffer from stomach ulcers or any stomach area condition including kidney and liver problems you should consult your doctor first

11. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

800 mg is not way too much. I have a prescription for 800 mg for dysmenorrhea. I wouldn't suggest mixing medication though. Where are you getting your info from paidtopost??

wordscribe- I would suggest coating your stomach with a meal before taking any medication. Add in a good yoga program and your back will be a world of difference better.

1. profile image0

It's so true exercise helps.  I was doing yoga for a while and it really was better.  Even walking has helped.  Man, I've been lazy lately, I think this is my wake-up call.

2. getpaidtopost profile image41

do you think i would mess about with people when talking about medication please, you don't know me yet, the info I got from my doctor. mixing ibuprofen with paracetamol is much better than increasing the dosage of ibuprofen. In the Uk we only have max 500mg for ibuprofen and the reason being it can make you feel ill, drowsiness, stomach rumbles, and can also cause permanent damage if taken excessively. why go through this when you can get the same affect from mixing the two and have no side affects. I know which one id take, the one that every one i know who has a back problem takes 1000mg paracetamol and 500mg ibuprofen. its the best. sorry to here of your condition hope its not to severe.

12. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Actually I have found a shot of whiskey to be a great muscle relaxant. HOWEVER I don't mix alcohol and ibuprofen or other drugs. So you have to choose.

I have had a good strong shot of southern comfort, gone out for a walk and felt much better. done some yoga when I got home and had another shot of soco. Back and rest of me felt great.

But the OP has GERD so I doubt if this would be a solution either.

13. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

Just a friendly warning: Be careful with taking 800 mg of Ibuprofen. (It sounds like you can't because of your stomach irriation, anyways).

I can take normal 200mg dosages, and do so all the time, but one time I was prescribed a high dosage (I want to say 1000mg?) by a sports doctor for an injury from ice skating so I could skate on my foot...I had an allergic reaction and could barely breathe because of the high dose. At the time, I was 5"5, 175 lbs...so I wasn't tiny either. The high dosage just really affected me adversely.

For back pain, I typically use Midol, the version that has acetimenophen and caffeine in it. lol I use Midol for everything, especially love it for headaches! They also have an Ibuprofen version...that would work good too, if you can stomach it.

14. rosariomontenegro profile image68
    rosariomontenegroposted 14 years ago

Madame X, this information deserves a whole hub, could you write one with more extensive information extracted from the book? It's really extraordinary, I hope it's true for everybody, this alleviation just with ... the old H2O.

THE LADY WITH BACK PAIN. You might try acupuncture at the beginning, to relax the muscles and soothe the pain, it's very effective. AND at the same time start a program of at least three walks per week, just walking with good shoes is a great preventative of back pain, but you need first to relax your muscles.
    I wouldn't take pain killers with your stomach condition. Besides there's no need for them. Did you read Madame X's answer?
    I also recommend the SALONPAS patches for crisis, they are sold in most drugstores and they have a slight medication that won't hurt your stomach.
    So now you have a whole program:
    1 acupuncture
    2 walks
    3 DRINK A LOT OF WATER
    4 only for crisis, Salonpas patches.

Good luck!

15. profile image53
    white michaelposted 8 years ago

We have medications for the treatment of chronic back pains, cough, anxiety,panic disorder, depression, erectile dysfunction, **** dysfunction,adhd,narcolepsy, obesity,depression, fatigue,Weight Loss supplement and more online (no prescription required).We sell quality medications online at affordable and discount prices. Fast and secure overnight delivery. We are ready to sell minimum quantities and large supplies of our product worldwide (SHIPPING IS WORLDWIDE).

We offer fast shippment
    Tracking numbers
    Privacy for all orders placed
    100% customer satisfaction

Our website is  the  www.onestopmedsshop.com

We welcome all inquiries

16. Sydney Barnes profile image67
    Sydney Barnesposted 5 years ago

I try really hard not to put unnecessary chemicals in my body, so I'm a big proponent of natural products. I use an old-school method - Absorbine jr has patches for your back, but the roll-on is also great. It's all natural and works. Two things I value. I have two herniated disks and rarely have issues. When I was injured, I went to physical therapy. There I learned about a semi-inflated beach ball and windshield wiping my legs. I truly helps to keep those lower back muscles stretched. Lay on your back, bring your knees into your chest. put the beach ball, or a small dollar store ball (about 4" in diameter) in between your knees. Then wipe your knees from side to side, like a windshield wiper. Good luck. Yoga is also a great thing to take up!

17. profile image60
    paularosa800posted 7 months ago

We understand the difficulty involved in getting access to pain medicine especially when legislations and some doctors refusal to do prescriptions makes it difficult for people with pain to get meds.
    There are products that treat moderate to sever pain below
    https://www.premuimpharmacy.com/product … edication/

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)