jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (18 posts)

A Better Night's Sleep!

1. hopalopa67 profile image59
    hopalopa67posted 7 years ago

One thing that I do at night to ensure a better night's rest is to avoid any consumption of food or beverages. Certain foods can cause indegestion and heart burn and some beverages can keep you awake at night.Let me know of any tip that you have about how to get to sleep quickly at night!

2. Ellandriel profile image64
    Ellandrielposted 7 years ago

Even if you avoid drinks before sleep, know that a warm glass of milk has calming effects and helps to fall asleep.
    Avoid activities that excite you, as seeing horror movies or clean something. They will make you more alert and probably keep you from sleeping.

3. frogdropping profile image85
    frogdroppingposted 7 years ago

I have a rare talent (I'm told) for simply falling asleep at night - despite what I may have eaten, done or whatever. Apparently I fall asleep in seconds.

Maybe I have a mental switch-off button.

I do know that milk does the trick for a few folk I know. Hot sweet milk. Maybe because it's warming?

4. Anti-Valentine profile image93
    Anti-Valentineposted 7 years ago

I have a hub about this, all on how to get the perfect night's sleep.

Link not included here (big hubber's watching)sadsmile.

1. frogdropping profile image85
      frogdroppingposted 7 years ago in reply to this

*snickers* funny Anti wink

2. Maddie Ruud profile image82
      Maddie Ruudposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I'm not that big, really.  I'm pretty short compared to most of the guys in the office.  The Edmondsons (Paul and James) are taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall.

5. dipless profile image85
    diplessposted 7 years ago

I am the same can seem to fall asleep at will or against it...I love my bed wink

6. Anti-Valentine profile image93
    Anti-Valentineposted 7 years ago

My dad's the same. 5 minutes and he's out.

7. Stacie L profile image86
    Stacie Lposted 7 years ago

Sorry but I hate anyone that can sleep that fast.....just kidding..but I do envy those who can drop off whenever they want.
    My mind just doesn't shut off at night...
    how do you do it?
    hmm

1. Anti-Valentine profile image93
      Anti-Valentineposted 7 years ago in reply to this

So do I.

2. frogdropping profile image85
      frogdroppingposted 7 years ago in reply to this

It's a talent. You've either got it ... or you haven't.

I do. And it's great. Even though have my school teachers, first boss and bus drivers would disagree big_smile

3. Inese profile image2
      Ineseposted 7 years ago in reply to this

What is that your mind ruminates during the night?

8. Ellandriel profile image64
    Ellandrielposted 7 years ago

I wish I could fall asleep like that!

Even this night I couldn't fall asleep so by 4 a.m. I was cleaning the cats litter boxes(3 of them) and the laundry room.

After that I got tired so become easier to sleep.

9. 0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 7 years ago

I have just started using a self-hypnosis cd for a good nights sleep, because my mind won't calm down at night and I've been exhausted some days. It is very effective for me. I just play it when I go to bed, and the past few nights I've been asleep before it ends. If I wake up in the night I play it again.

None of the natural remedies like valerian, melatonin, or such work for me - even at very low dosages they give me nightmares.

It's Steven Gurgevich Deep Sleep with Medical Self-Hypnosis ISBN 1591797142, if you want to try it.

10. Kelsey Tallis profile image79
    Kelsey Tallisposted 7 years ago

I had a prescription for sleeping pills at one point but I now try to avoid medication whenever I can. I have found Valerian helpful when I have trouble getting to sleep (without nightmares, fortunately, unlike Nelle), but I do think music or meditative techniques are better.

Sometimes I wake up at 3am though and have trouble falling back to sleep. In that case, I've found it's usually better to get up and do something until you get tired again, unless you have to go work, then I just soldier through it. When that happens, I find I'm usually okay until early-mid afternoon, and then just use caffeine to get me through the rest of the work day...

11. moposan profile image60
    moposanposted 7 years ago

almost impossible in today's contaminated world

12. jenblacksheep profile image85
    jenblacksheepposted 7 years ago

I have problems sleeping like my mum, but my dad has the ability to just fall asleep. We were watching tv the other day and he was playing guitar and literally fell asleep whilst playing.

13. Ladybird33 profile image75
    Ladybird33posted 7 years ago

I am a horrible sleeper and have tried everything, sleeping pills work best for me smile  Sorry, it's true, when I had enough of no sleep I take one of these

working