How much do you know about STD's?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Davinagirl3 profile image60
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

I have noticed that some of my younger classes have some serious misconceptions about the transmission of sexually transmitted diseases.  Any insights, or questions that you need cleared up?  I am not a doctor.  I am a health educator who teaches adult classes on HIV/AIDS and STD's.  I can give general information on the basic facts and transmission of these diseases.  I am interested in hearing your thoughts about these diseases and the state of sex education in the US.  I shudder at what our children will be exposed to because of ignorance on our government's part.

1. Lady_E profile image63
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

From experience (not experience of STD's) I would suggest you get a very good DVD (obviously related to STD's) for them to watch.  Let them discuss it with each other in groups after watching and be ready to answer their questions.  Good Luck smile

2. Ambition profile image60
      Ambitionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

STD spread by having sex with a person already affected from that disease. i think AIDS is a kind of STD

2. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

I work in health promotions and teach sexual health to our students. The STI presentation is our most requested. But it's good to know I'm not the only educated one out there smile Sex education wasn't too bad when I was in high school, but it wasn't great either. sad

Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I got the rare opportunity to teach a group of 10th grade girls in my area.  The amount of information they didn't have was overwhelming.  I went to high school 15 years ago, and we had sex ed.  Nowadays, it is forbidden in most public high schools in the states.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
        Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We were required to take sex ed in 8th grade and again in 10th, in the Berkeley public school system.  We also had free condoms available to us in high school.  But that's the People's Republic of Berkeley for you.

That is fantastic... Yea! for Berkeley.

3. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Well I teach college students. Mostly freshmen, sometimes upper division. We go into great detail about STIs etc. But it still amazes me the questions that I get and lack of information out there. I had sex education in 7th grade, and then in high school I had an abstinence driven program. I was in a medical magnet so I learned most of my information from clinicals and internships.

At the office that I work at we provide free condoms and lubrication, HIV testing, and off campus resources. But I am at a university. smile

Until last year, I worked for a non-profit agency that did the same thing.  It is very gratifying work... handing out condoms.wink

4. jenblacksheep profile image67
    jenblacksheepposted 14 years ago

I live in the UK and I had tons of sex ed when I was a teenager ... but I did go to one of the better schools in the area. There are lots of teenage mums around where I live and people who clearly know nothing.

I had a very patronising talk from a nurse today when I went to get a shot for my holiday. She said they were doing chlamidia testing and did I want a test done. I told her I didnt think I needed one (which I didnt) and she then made me tell her why I didn't think I needed one. Perhaps I looked to her like the stupid promiscuous type ...

Better to be ..err .. safe than sorry i guess!

5. profile image52
    Frenchmaidposted 14 years ago

I LIVE IN WINNIPEG MANITOBA (CANADA)

Since i work with teacher and i actually is the secretary of the physical and health teacher i think i am good in this department, last year we produce the curriculum guide for sexual education for all the grades. Its funny because one day my son  had a sex head class and he goes...hey i know about this so his teacher goes well how do you know it just came out so my son goes my mom wrote this... the teacher did not believe him so my son said look at the front her name is there... he smile and go....oh....lucky you...!!! i was pretty funny!!!

6. B.Z. Alixandre profile image68
    B.Z. Alixandreposted 14 years ago

I don't really encounter too many teens with those questions.  When I was a teen I was pretty precocious and curious about sex, so I did what I've always done, researched what I was interested in.  I didn't have sex until I was 21, which was just how it happened, not some grand design on my part or anything.  By then I was very well read on most aspects of the subject, from STI's and Pregnancy to Kama Sutra.  When I discussed sex with my little cousins (not that little, they were teens) I was surprised not at their knowledge of STI's but their knowledge of sex in general.  They didn't really understand what oral sex was or the emotional and physical complications of it, but the most distressing misunderstanding was their own internal conflict.  They didn't want to have sex, but their bodies responded during making out and stuff, and they didn't understand that their biological responses would conflict with their decision.  I am generally appalled at how sex is discussed, or more often not discussed, in the US.  This is definitely a case of knowledge is power.  When I told them they needed to understand what their personal "do not cross" line they looked at me like I had just imparted great wisdom to them.  Out of all my friends that wanted to wait, I was the only one who did, and I wasn't waiting for a time period, or specific point of a relationship (marraige or commitment or anything) I was just waiting til I was ready.  And I'm one of a few of my friends who neither regrets my choices nor has a seriously screwed up sex life.

7. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

lol practicing abstininence used get me called a nun but least I can brag bout being disease free tongue lol but yes, same here, sex ed during phys ed in jr high and again in high school big_smile now my sons understand it too and always pick up free condoms from the health clinics. I think education is key to preventing STD's. Watched a documentary on congolese women n guys (actual mercs?) said they won't get it (AIDS) because they have a special medicinal plant tongue yeah, sure

8. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Davina - My only comment is that I now know that you are a teacher. And God Bless You. Your students are in very, very good hands.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)