jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Plan B...Why the controversy?

1. megs78 profile image61
    megs78posted 7 years ago

Hey to everyone,

Recently it came to my attention that the contraceptive, Plan B, is a very hot topic in the united states.  Why is that?  I am researching to write an article about the different viewpoints of Americans and Canadians towards sexual health and contraceptives and would like very much to have some personal opinion rather than just political rhetoric.

Thanks for all who contribute to my research,

2. sunstreeks profile image85
    sunstreeksposted 7 years ago

Some people misunderstand and think that Plan B is an abortion pill. It is not. If you take the pill with in 72 hours of sex and before the sperm meets the egg it can prevent fertilization. If you don't take it in time. It will not abort.

I took it 48 hours after sex, then the second pill exactly 12 hours later as it said in the directions. It's not a wonder pill. It doesn't prevent pregnancy 100% of the time.

My 4 year old is a Plan B baby.

3. BrianFanslau profile image60
    BrianFanslauposted 7 years ago

My friend's mom and also my best friend and his wife do not use any form of contraception because of the side affects that women have received from the imbalance that the drugs can induce in the human body. They use some sort of weird planning calendar system thinger which I've stayed out of because I really don't want to learn about my best friend's sex life in that much detail but I do like that they are keeping it natural and they have been married for over a year now with no babies or scares.

If you want more information on the kind of contraception they use I believe the catholic church also teaches something very similar and they have been a huge proponent as well in natural contraception so religious views aside they have been in the business of not making babies without condoms or pills for longer than any company or government in existence.

Hope this helps Meg smile

4. megs78 profile image61
    megs78posted 7 years ago

Thanks you BrianFanslau and Sunstreeks.  I have also taken Plan B, and thats how it came to my attention that there was some controversy over it. Here in Canada, there is no controversy. Plan B is free at the pharmacy and health clinic for any woman without a prescription or appointment, but for some reason, it is hugely fought about in the States and some pharmacists have been known to refuse it to customers on moral grounds.  I am just curious as to the reason why.

5. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

I think the controversy on this issue in the states, actually, may be over drawn.  I think that in most cases Plan B is available over the counter presently in US drugstores.

Maybe you were talking of problems a few years back?

1. megs78 profile image61
      megs78posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Hmmm, thats possible, I will check dates again.  Thanks for the heads up.

6. kerryg profile image86
    kerrygposted 7 years ago

I've taken it twice and have never had a problem getting it, but I've heard stories of women who have. A lot of people in this country mistakenly believe that it causes abortions and are opposed to it for that reason.

7. megs78 profile image61
    megs78posted 7 years ago

so, I'm going to throw another little topic into this one that kind of goes hand in hand with contraception.  There is less teen pregnancy in Canada than in the US and there has been debate that this is due to the fact that sex ed is more accepted in Canada and that abstinence is taught more as a method of sex ed in the States and that it is not working to deter American teens. 

What are your thoughts on that, and what do you think is the right way to educate our children.

PS.  I'm asking for research purposes, but I also have 2 daughters and genuinely would like some insight into a huge issue that I will be facing in the next couple of years.

Thanks in advance,

8. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 7 years ago

Plan B is availble OTC for anyone over the age of 18. (Over the age of 17 is still in the works in some states)It is not free. The cost varies from $20-$60 depending on what pharmacy/clinic someone goes to.

The reason why it is so controversial is because people do not understand it. Throw "sex" into the equation, or even mention the word and people get all fussy. A reason why the HPV vaccine is so controversial as well. smile So rather than have a decreased rate in HPV, cervical/anal cancer, and unwanted pregnancies, people throw in their 2 cents to challenge what is trying to improve upon the situation.

Sex education in the United States is not perfect. Far from it. Yes programs such as "Be the one", that are abstinence based are taught and approved in state schools. So most of the programs are similar. Again, parents get upset when the word "sex" is mentioned and feel it is something that should be taught at home. But it isn't, so that leaves teenagers uneducated about their bodies and sex. Obviously abstinence only education does not work. Teenagers need a comprehensive program that includes abstinence, pregnancy, STIs, anatomy, physiology, and in an open environment where they can ask questions. But we'll see if that happens smile