jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

1. 0
    sandra rinckposted 7 years ago

Is there any hubbers out there who have lost someone to mesothelioma? 

I am just wondering.

2. 0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 7 years ago

My sister lost her father-in-law 3 years ago to it. He worked in a electrical power plant and was in the navy.

1. 0
      sandra rinckposted 7 years ago in reply to this

That's what I hear.  My grandpa died of it, he also worked in a navy shipyard.

3. world of the wise profile image24
    world of the wiseposted 7 years ago

for me no

4. Silver Rose profile image79
    Silver Roseposted 7 years ago

No. But a Member of Parliament, John MacDougall, died of mesothelioma (we call it asbestos poisoning here) last year. He spent most of his working life as a boilerman in the shipyards before he got elected, and got exposed to it then.

It was sad to see him die, not least because we don't have many MPs anymore who have worked in the rough end of trade and know all the dangers, and thus push for safeguards. IMO MPs should be drawn from all walks of life so as every bit of society is represented. But what's happening is that professional political researchers, who go straight from university to being political advisors and never encounter the real world of work in any form, are being parachuted into safe seats - and this applies to ALL the political parties. It makes for a weaker parliament as many don't really understand the country they are supposed to be representing.

5. rmcrayne profile image94
    rmcrayneposted 7 years ago

My step-grandfather died of it 3 1/2 years ago.  He worked with spray asbestos insulation.  His wife has it too from doing his laundry.  So far she does not have any notable symptoms.  They used to be flown to Dallas periodically for medical tests for some study, and maybe class action suit related.