jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (12 posts)

Here's a question for ya...

1. 0
    Crazdwriterposted 7 years ago

Why does crying make you so tired? I have been crying today...another forum stated why. And I never did get why crying caused one to get so tired.

Anyone know the answer? I'm curious.

1. Lady_E profile image83
      Lady_Eposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Releasing all the tense emotions within?

No more Tears. Have a Beautiful weekend.

2. 0
    Ghost32posted 7 years ago

I'd like to help but never noticed that crying made me tired at all.  In fact, almost without exception it seems to me I've only felt better both emotionally and physically after crying. 

Then again, it's possible you and I have totally different "cry modes".  For example, my most dramatic cry was at age eleven after discovering I'd mis-made the cage for my new and only ever childhood pet, a wild baby cottontail rabbit.  During the night, "Bibs" had hopped out of the box and around the house, where our black (and black hearted) ranch dog on his chain killed the little thing.  Did not eat it but left it for me to find.

I worked in a field half a mile west of the house that morning, driving a tractor pulling a hayrake, and for more than four hours I was crying and screaming out my guilt and loss at the top of my lungs.

Is that the kind of crying under discussion?  'Cause by noontime, I still wasn't tired, just hungry....

3. 0

aaaa Ghost that is a sad story. I'm sorry you had to loose your pet that way. what a mean puppy you had.

And yes that is one kind of crying...and even though I do slightly feel better from crying I am tired and have a headache. Sucks...I guess it's different for everyone

4. LVM profile image56
    LVMposted 7 years ago

I have a similar condition.  When I get upset and really mad, I feel so tired as if losing all my strength.  It feels like I have not eaten for days.  In this case, I need a rest or better yet, a sleep.

5. 0

It's so weird isn't it LVM? Feel so drained over something like being mad or after crying...I wonder if anyone knows the answer to my question smile lol

6. 0
    Ghost32posted 7 years ago

You don't suppose the reaction to crying could be gender specific?  Maybe guys feel great (as long as there aren't too many witnesses) and the ladies feel drained? 

Most of my recent crying (in the past few years, let's say) is  of the brief sort and comes when I'm uplifted by a story about someone who "done good"--like giving up his/her own life to save another, that sort of thing.  But that is sort of a "cheerleeding super-approval" cry and just leaves me shouting, "YES!" and pumping my fist in the  air--again, primarily when there are no discernible witnesses.

7. 0

hmmm...that is an interesting idea ghost...maybe it is gender specific and us women got the crumby end of the bargain lol

But that is interesting

8. 0

Anybody else have any ideas on this topic? I am curios to know

1. Lily Rose profile image84
      Lily Roseposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Well, they say it takes more muscles to frown than to smile - maybe that's it ;-)

I hope you are feeling better, Crazdwriter.  I read your other thread earlier today and I can certainly empathize - men just don't "think" sometimes!!

9. arthriticknee profile image88
    arthritickneeposted 7 years ago

Headache and going red in the face would probably be as a result of vasodilation, where our blood vessels become dilated in response to certain emotional and physical stimuli.

This is also regulated by the autonomic nervous system. It controls our body's automatic processes and has two switches.

Flick one switch and you get the 'fight or flight' response. This sends blood to the muscles for physical activity, shunting it away from less important structures for fighting or running such as our digestive tract. This is controlled by the sympathetic nervous system.

The opposite is the parasympathetic nervous system, which promotes less dramatic actions like digestion and sleep. I am no expert but it is possible that crying stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system and results in not only vasodilation but your body being prompted to sleep, hence your tiredness.

If you didn't have a headache before, you will after reading that.

10. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

I get very tired too, but then I feel much better having let it all out.