jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)

New runner!!

1. chrissie123 profile image60
    chrissie123posted 7 years ago

I'm taking up running. I started not to long ago. I am really likeing it. I want to get myself to running 3 miles a day any advice?

1. hubby7 profile image81
      hubby7posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I've been running for over 25 years. It's my favorite form of exercise together with biking. My advice to you is that you let your running come to you and not you to your running. In other words, listen to your body. Increase your speed when your body tells you to increase your speed. Increase your distance when your body tells you to do so. Break your goal up into smaller parts. Strive to run only a half or a single mile at a comfortable pace at first. As you become comfortable running a mile with no problem, move on to set your next goal at 1.5 or 2 miles. Once you are comfortable running 2 miles, set your goal at 2.5 or 3 miles. Always listen to your body! It will tell you when to run faster or how far to run. My point is that your goals should not be made in concrete. They are mere general guidelines that are subordinate to what your body tells you to do or what you are capable of.

One thing more: Since you LIKE running, you are already ahead of the ball game. You are doing something you like. No one has to spur you on. Before you know it, you will be running 3 miles. I have absolute CONFIDENCE in your achieving your goal! Good luck!

chrissie123posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thanks this helps alot!!!!! I really appreciate your advice! I can do this!

2. Drew Breezzy profile image79
      Drew Breezzyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

don't over do it speed wise  take it easy and slowly increase distance and speed.

Are you planning to race? or get in shape? what are your goals?

I just want to get in shape. I dont want to do much weight training. Arobics just seems the route for me. I wanna healthy and exercise more. I usually jog for 30 mins every night. Every other night i do strech and tonning workouts on my jumbo exercise ball. (I also hulla hoop alot sounds dumb but i can feel it hitting my abs pretty good plus its not hard for me to do)

3. Drew Breezzy profile image79
      Drew Breezzyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

don't over do it speed wise  take it easy and slowly increase distance and speed.

Are you planning to race? or get in shape? what are your goals?

Oh and i dont have much to go before i reach my goals I am down to 125 and wanna be between 115 and 120 not any lower.

2. blue dog profile image80
    blue dogposted 7 years ago

keep running.

faster.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
      Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

And in the other direction smile

3. wrenfrost56 profile image82
    wrenfrost56posted 7 years ago

WOW! You are going to be super fit! I run a little, well actually it's more like a jog. I make sure I have some water on me because i get real thirsty. Wear a good and comfortable pair of trainers, always do some streches before and after running and I listen to my mp3 player.

Thanks for the advice!! I'm trying to get really healthy while im still young and have all of this time on my hands.

4. Ellen_C profile image82
    Ellen_Cposted 7 years ago

Are you wearing the right shoes? A lot of my hubs are related to choosing the right shoe. I didn't really start running a lot until I realized I was wearing the wrong shoes, they hurt my feet and my knees and I didn't want to run. When you don't have to think about how your feet or knees feel, you can focus on your breathing and concentrate on the task of running.

working