jump to last post 1-25 of 25 discussions (53 posts)

Help! I cannot utter a word...

1. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 7 years ago

I have complete laryngitis today, nothing comes out of the pie hole when I talk (hubby's loving it).  But, seriously I feel like crap.  I was up most of the night last night because my throat is so painful, ate ice chips all night.  Anyone have a good sore throat remedy?  I'm so tired of feeling like $hit.  sad

1. tantrum profile image59
      tantrumposted 7 years ago in reply to this

If you eat ice is worse. Will leave you without voice. the best thing is strepsils or something like it, and a hot tea with honey.

2. Daniel Carter profile image92
      Daniel Carterposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yes, get some colloidal silver and take immediately. Or oregano oil will also do it. Kills bacteria and viruses fast. But you need to take as quickly as you can when you notice symptoms, so if you're going to use it, get it fast.

You use silver like you use an antibiotic. About two weeks and then off. Your body needs to clear it all out. You can google colloidal silver and learn much more if you're interested.

Get better quick!

1. Pearldiver profile image86
        Pearldiverposted 7 years ago in reply to this

You should do a hub on this Daniel.... I know how good it is too, but have never taken the time to follow through on it. hmm

2. rhamson profile image76
    rhamsonposted 7 years ago

Lemon/honey tea.

3. Pearldiver profile image86
    Pearldiverposted 7 years ago

YEP............... lol lol But I feel for Carl so I'm Not telling Ya lol

1. profile image0
      wordscribe41posted 7 years ago in reply to this

He's in heaven right now.  Was laughing his a$$ of this morning.  Just wait 'til he gets home...

4. profile image0

Tea with honey, that does sound good.  Thanks.

5. profile image0
    ralwusposted 7 years ago

hmmm, Dr visit in order?

1. profile image0

Have been wondering.  My kids have all had this, the little germ spreaders.  I figure it's just a run of the mill virus, but if it's not better quickly I'm off.  Hate doctors.

2. Pearldiver profile image86
      Pearldiverposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Hell I hope they put the thermometer in the right place WS yikes

1. profile image0

yikes yikes yikes  Not a dog, PD...

3. profile image0
      rednckwmnposted 7 years ago in reply to this

where I live, they told me...
      "Sounds like swine flu. Stay home, you can not come in. We will not see you. We are banning all people wiht swine flu like symptoms from coming in. We dont want you to get the other patients sick. Drink lots of fluids and get some rest."
      So much for tamiflu.....

6. Ladybird33 profile image62
    Ladybird33posted 7 years ago

Ohhh, hope you feel better, warm up some whiskey, it will help, add honey and go to sleep.  Good luck.

7. lrohner profile image83
    lrohnerposted 7 years ago

Gargle with warm salt water or apple cider vinegar.

1. profile image0

Never heard of apple cider vinegar.  I can foresee stomach content evacuation, Irohner.

2. emdi profile image72
      emdiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Me too suggest the same

8. profile image0
    rednckwmnposted 7 years ago

I had this too. I saw yor post the other day, about how you sound like demi, and i chuckled, cuz Ive been told the same thing before. try gargle with salt water. Do you have, sorry if its gross, but..alot of phlegm, postnasal drip? you can gargle with a solution of hydrogen peroxide and water. Its gross, but it works. I am so sorry yoyr so sick. I honestly know how awful it is, I have been sick 2 times this fall already, and I quit smoking!!!! you got the neck pain and body aches and all? You could also try a Hot Toddy. A little one, to help you get some rest. The most important thing is sleep,(and liquids if ya can getthem down..) but its so hard when your so sick. Hope you get better soon!! It does go away, I promise.

1. profile image0

Thanks for that and YES, check on all the above symptoms.  Achy, the whole nine yards.  It's so sucky trying to have enough energy for the kids when they get home from school.  And, of course it's going to be playdate (and slumber party) central here tonight.  I will try the hydrogen peroxide and water.  How long did yours last?

1. profile image0

I homeschool all 3 kids. Hubby kept saying...its jsut allergies, suck it up...till he got sick and I had to take care of him...
        I was real real sick about 5 days, then it gradually got better. I devloped a nasty cough towrads the end, and that didnt go away even though I felt better, for about ....2 weeks total? the throat thing got better in 4-5 days. I lost about 10 pounds in all, betweeen not being able to eat or sleep, and throwing up every time I coughed...]
        Its awful, I know. Get some rest. I would recommend postpoing sleepovers, if you can, to avoid spreading it....

9. Lady_E profile image82
    Lady_Eposted 7 years ago

Lemon and Honey will soothe it.

Strepsil's help numb it.

Hope your better soon.

1. profile image0

Guess I'm dumb, but what are Strepsil's?  Never heard of 'em.

1. Lady_E profile image82
        Lady_Eposted 7 years ago in reply to this

http://www.strepsils.co.uk/ 

They are like medicated sweets, sold in lots of shops. smile

1. profile image0

Thank you so much!  Will see if I can get them here.  smile

10. manlypoetryman profile image74
    manlypoetrymanposted 7 years ago

Well...you sound the same to us...if that helps you feel any better. (And I hope you do feel better!)

By the way: Tea, Lemon, and Honey...like folks are saying...is good stuff...to get your singing voice back!

11. frogdropping profile image84
    frogdroppingposted 7 years ago

But at least you can type big_smile Look at all the cool hubberhelp/love you're getting. Throats are mainly for swallowing stuff anyway. You can always write things down (harshly and in CAPITALS) to indicate ire and so forth.

I hope you get better soon WS smile

1. profile image0

Thanks, frogdropping.  Yes, this thread is making me feel better.  I'm now out of the fetal position, even had a smile or two.  It's like virtual chicken noodle soup.  smile  LOVE YOU GUYS!!!

12. Pearldiver profile image86

What Irohner has suggested for this (Strepp) is Cider Vinegar - warm it gargle it or even drink it.
    It acts as a mild antiseptic and is not harsh on your digestive system at all (as Hydrogen Peroxide will be). 
    Every Hour and you will find that it kills the bugs... not pickle them.

1. profile image0

Just did it, not a happy camper as I smell like a big honking pickle, BUT my throat does feel better.  Thanks, Dr. Pearl.

2. profile image0

well, your not supposed to swallow it...gargle means you spit it out after...
      I only said that because it is in the directions on the back of the bottle, and it helped get rid of the boogers in my throat. Really did nothing for the pain, but the crap in my throat was causing the pain..see? I am sure vinegar, as a non chemical thing, would be way better!!! I just never heard of it before.
      Will toatlly try it out next time I am sick. wordscribe, if you have the cough, your throat is on its way to better, but you still have some stuff to get thru before its all over. I betchya your throat and voice are on the mend my tomorrow. For the cough, the best advice I ever got from a nurse...take Guinafeson..im sure I spelled it wrong..but it is the main ingredient of Mucinex...only you can buy it in generic, for alot cheaper...and it works. Loosens the mucus right up, no side effects,fantastic stuff. im all for natural remedies, I hate drugs, but this one so far seems to bve ok.

1. profile image0

Thanks, yeah it does seem the junk draining into my throat is what's pissing it off so much.  I know the stuff you're talking about that starts with a 'g'.  I'm going to the drug store now.  Thanks again for the support, you're like my virtual nurse.  smile

1. profile image0

OH no!! Ihope I didnt give bad advice, its just how i lived thru it...
          cough meds, frequently called tussin..just make sure it is ONLY an expectorant..no suppressant, thats what can cause pnuemonia to set it..good luck!!! I am currently 100 percent better, with no lingering stuff. I am sure you will get over it too!!

3. glendoncaba profile image80
      glendoncabaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

May gargle with cider vinegar, but please dilute with glass of water if going to drink it.  add spoon of honey for drinking too.  Full strength cider vinegar will blast your stomach walls.

dilute dilute dilute for drinking please.

13. profile image0

Thanks, rednckwmn...  I already have the revolting cough which is ever so much fun for the fiery throat.  Thanks for the support.  Glad you're feeling better.  smile

14. profile image0

Interesting, Daniel.  That's a new one for me...  It's always interesting to hear what people do for home remedies.  I've learned a lot today.  I just gargled with apple cider vinegar and it did help...  Oregano oil, huh?  Thanks for responding.  smile

1. Daniel Carter profile image92
      Daniel Carterposted 7 years ago in reply to this

BTW, oregano oil is spit fire. You can put about 4 or 5 drops of it in a tablespoon of olive oil to make it more palatable. Colloidal silver, however, is pretty much like drinking water. Hardly any taste to it at all.

15. profile image0
    rednckwmnposted 7 years ago

PS, CALL OFF the sleep over!!! I know, one of THE worst things, is to let your kids down, but you need rest, and the other kids parents will thank you.

16. edguider profile image79
    edguiderposted 7 years ago

I had this last month. Tea with honey is the best recommendation I can give but add a little lemon to it as well smile

17. Pearldiver profile image86

WS if all this fails yikes 
    Then consider the BumbleTown Cure for Strepp Mouth...... They Send their Teeth Out for Dry Cleaning! lol

1. profile image0

Bags packed, Google mapping Bumble Town currently.  Crap, I can't find it on the map...

18. RedSonja94 profile image60
    RedSonja94posted 7 years ago

I don't have any new advice, but I hope you're feeling better soon.

19. qbanmamiof2 profile image60
    qbanmamiof2posted 7 years ago

In my country when we have a severe sore throat or flu like we drink: Rum,Lime, and honey.

It works and tastes yummy.

There's always TheraFlu as well.  Hope you feel better smile

1. glendoncaba profile image80

Is that country jamaica.

1. qbanmamiof2 profile image60
        qbanmamiof2posted 7 years ago in reply to this

No hee hee I'm from Cuba

1. glendoncaba profile image80

Same cure used in here in jamaica.  Rum lime,honey.

I visited Cuba once.  havana.

20. profile image0

Thanks so much, everyone.  The cider vinegar is a big help, taste hiedeous, but I don't care.  I guess I'll have it on my bedside table tonight.  Strange, but effective.  Everone had such great suggestions.  No need for WebMD with HP!  smile

21. ScarletRyan1970 profile image60
    ScarletRyan1970posted 7 years ago

A hot Jack Daniels will do the trick.

22. profile image0
    cosetteposted 7 years ago

the only thing i can add to all the great advice you've gotten is that when i am sick with a sore throat, i find relief with Popsicles. they sort of anesthetize your throat because they are cold. plus if you have a fever they make you feel a little cooler...root beer or banana are the best.

23. profile image0

Thanks, cosette.  I forgot about Popsicles, will see if I need them tomorrow.  I've been gargling with a warm water and apple cider mix which has really helped.  What a crummy day, I must say.  Really wanted to pump out a hub, but when I have a fever I'm worthless.  Maybe I'll write a hub on sore throats.  Hope you're well!  smile

24. Aqua profile image79
    Aquaposted 7 years ago

Hey W.S. - hope you feel better soon! If not, get yee to the doctor to rule out strept etc.

I actually like your idea of writing a hub on sore throats - go for it! (when you feel better of course) smile

1. profile image0

Thanks, Aqua.  Conrats on the 100 Hubber score.  Well deserved!  smile

25. Aqua profile image79
    Aquaposted 7 years ago

aw..thanks! smile I appreciate that!

Hey, feel free to contact me when you feel better. It would be fun to hash about social work and "other" topics - if you get my drift. smile

1. profile image0

Would love to, Aqua.  I've been curious what your specialization was.  Will shoot you off an email when I'm better.  smile

working