School Is Working!

1. 0
    TMinutposted 7 years ago

My son has started in a different type of school, it's called NUAMES (Northern Utah Academy for Math, Engineering, and Science) and it's perfect for him! Well, in some ways.

He was so scared at first when he discovered these classes are conducted without textbooks; instead the classes involve lectures and notetaking almost exclusively. He's such a perfectionist that his notetaking is so slow he didn't think he could possibly keep up. He told me he misses most of what he's supposed to get. I've always thought he learns best without books, he's an auditory learner but he didn't believe me. Well, his first progress report just came in and he's got his usual A's! The only class he's not doing well in is the one with a female teacher - he's told me before that women's voices are hard to understand, probably the pitch or something. Also about half the class is lost with this teacher so I'm not too worried, it's not just him.

2. ediggity profile image61
    ediggityposted 7 years ago

The only thing I ever used my books for was assigned homework.  Today students can use the internet as a book substitute to reference course material.  That school sounds like it has a very real world approach to learning.

3. 0
    sneakorocksolidposted 7 years ago

We always told our son school was his job the same as our jobs. We used in to justify allowance and activities. I think if they understand thats how life is they accept it as reality and get with it.