Ginkgo Biloba for tinnitus sufferers?

1. paulcullen profile image60
    paulcullenposted 8 years ago

I have spent hours this week trawling the internet and other places looking for a glimmer of hope on the “Tinnitus Cure” front.

As usual information is pretty thin on the ground with again no sign of even a promising medical reference let alone a “cure”.

In fact the “I Cured My Tinnitus In 1 Day With My Magic Potion” brigade seem even more adrift to me.

Since most of these potions seem to be Ginkgo Biloba based this excerpt from the British Tinnitus Association might help you decide before you decide to shell out hard cash on them.

Dr Ewart Davies PhD reports “Many people have claimed that Ginkgo Biloba was helpful in treating their tinnitus. However our trial involving almost 1000 patients showed that it was no better than a placebo in alleviating tinnitus symptoms. However it must be remembered that it is an extremely safe material and that most people who take it report a better feeling of well being. This of course allows patients to deal with their tinnitus rather better. So if patients can afford it and they feel that their tinnitus eases, then they should continue to take it.”

It would appear then that Ginkgo simply helps you feel better generally and perhaps more able to cope.

However, if you find it helps, I would suggest you spend your money on genuine Ginkgo Biloba from a health shop rather than some “Magic Potion” which you have to pay through the nose for and probably contains much less actual Ginkgo.

2. barranca profile image78
    barrancaposted 8 years ago

I've had tinnitus for years and nothing seems to help, but I haven't ever looked for remedies because I have always heard there aren't any.  The only relief I find is to be so interested in something that I forget about it temporarily.

3. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

My mother-in-law has tinnitus and after hearing that Gingko biloba might help, I bought some for her.  She tried it for a couple of months but said it made no difference.

Researching gingko biloba, I was concerned to see that it has been associated with some dangerous side effects so I'm not so sure it's completely harmless.