jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Swine Flu

1. 60
    Candy Beauclairposted 7 years ago

This Swine Flu seems to affect a lot of children, so much that schools are shutting down.Is there a cure. Our scientists seem to be working on this but I feel they haven't came up with anything yet. They seem to be making fast antidotes that they don't even know if its going to work properly. Everything is happening so fast they can't have it tested properly. So basically these shots that are given to our children could be worthless. These scientist have changed the antidote several times and it still don't seem to be working properly. This flu seems to be spreading very quickly. I think they really need to get on the ball. Don't you! We want our children and care givers to be well. It just seems like were wasting time. These scientist need to find a cure and find one fast before this affects any more people.We all need to take precaution to keep this from spreading.

Most commonly asked questions:
    1. How was this Flu brought into the United States?
    2. Are our soldiers, when they come back bringing it in?
    3. Is this Flu going to kill us?
    4. Is this Flu being brought in from the illegal immigrants crossing the boarders?

1. LiamBean profile image89
      LiamBeanposted 7 years ago in reply to this

There is no "antidote." Tamiflu is a toxin designed to attack flu viruses. It must be administered according to doctor's instructions. It does work.

The "cure" is a vaccine that teaches your own body how to recognize and fight off the flu. Since all vaccines, except the nasal spray, contain a "dead" virus this is an effective way to train the immune system.

Because the nasal spray contains a live virus pregnant women should not use it.

Since a flu virus can live outside a host body for up to two days it is very likely to come into this country a variety of different ways. Even on shipping containers, imported fruits and vegetables, or anything else that might have been touched by an infected person and shipped to this country.

No one knows at this stage if Swine Flu will morph into something much more deadly. Viruses mutate.

Please see:

2. Marisa Wright profile image91
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Candy, there is no antidote. An antidote cures something after you've got it.  A vaccine prevents it.  It's a vaccine that they've developed, exactly like the vaccine you can take to prevent ordinary flu.

The flu got into the US like any other disease - travel. Think of all the Americans who go on holidays overseas and bring back infections.  Think of all the Americans who travel overseas on business trips and bring back infections.  Think of all the tourists who visit the US, and business people who visit the US.  Illegal immigrants and soldiers are the least likely to be bringing it in.

That's why vaccination for all kinds of diseases is so important these days.  There is a risk of side-effects with any vaccine, but the rate of serious illness or death from a vaccine is usually far, far less than from the disease itself.

3. carolegalassi profile image77
      carolegalassiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I'm not sure where the Swine flu came from, I do know that I would never get a Swine flu shot.  I have heard that there is a chemical (not tested or approved by the FDA) in the shot that can kill you.  No thanks!!

2. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 7 years ago

I think you can find many of your answers on the CDC website.

Pgrundy also has a thread about her son & his illness.

I wrote a PSA thread yesterday about my son's illness.

Big key folks, if you've had it for 72 hours many doctors won't test for influenza or H1N1, as too much time has passed.  They did not give my son tamiflu because he also has strep & pneumonia & he went into the doctor after being ill for 72 hours.

3. 0
    A Texanposted 7 years ago

I don't believe there is a cure for a virus.

1. LiamBean profile image89
      LiamBeanposted 7 years ago in reply to this

This is why I put "cure" in quotation marks in my response.

4. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 7 years ago

If you want some extra help for the immune system during flue season, I suggest researching anti viral supplements.