jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Student's Death Incorrectly Attributed to H1N1 Flu

1. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

Within the last couple of weeks those of us within the viewing area of Boston news channels heard about a college student, Matthew Healey, who had passed away.  News reports were that the young and otherwise healthy man had died from H1N1 flu.  It was stated that his death caused concerns because other deaths from the flu have been associated with people who have other health problems.

This evening it was reported that Healey's death was not caused by H1N1.  It was reported, in fact, that tests to confirm the virus take 10 days to come back; and that the test came back negative.

My question is why would news people report, as fact, that a death was caused by this flu when, in fact, the test results had not come in. Why wasn't the story reported, "H1N1 is suspected of causing the death, but tests results will take x days"?

Either someone was grossly irresponsible in telling the news people the death was caused by the flu or the news people were grossly irresponsible in reporting something they weren't told or else Matthew really did die of the H1N1 flu but someone has had reason to hide the facts from the public.  Either way, the public should know that what we're told and what is true are, yet again, not the same thing.

1. Cagsil profile image84
      Cagsilposted 7 years ago in reply to this

You know....it is eerily, how some people pay too much attention to bias media coverage.

You know.....media is only a spinning wheel, weaving whatever junk seen as a news "worthy". It's been sadly mistaken to be informative in almost any manner, either in paper or on TV.

Media conglomerates will say or do whatever they feel like and will get away with it, because they are protected by the freedom of speech. Which isn't a problem, but when too many people become outraged, because one specific media sources enflames them....it can be extremely dangerous for society.

Take nothing media has to say for truth. It is always amended later, which is the case in most stories written.

2. wisemensee profile image60
    wisemenseeposted 7 years ago

Fear generated by erroneous news still creates more circulation despite the fact that what they report is untrue...We must retaliate against those who try to get us to buy into the FEAR they all want us to take part in...its just a daily circulation grabber but we should UNSUBSCRIBE and bring attention to the lie as you have...WELL DONE!

3. edguider profile image60
    edguiderposted 7 years ago

"Fear generated by erroneous news still creates more circulation despite the fact that what they report is untrue"

Thats the best comment I have read o this forum all day! Well said..

4. 0
    Janettaposted 7 years ago

what gets me is the hype the swine flu continues to get. Has the media forgotten about the number of deaths that are attributed to the regular flu strains each year? Its not really much different, with most deaths being the very young or very old and many having either a preexsisting underlying medical condition (such as severe asthma) or not having acess to adequate health care.

As a mother with two small children who tends to be a worrier...it pains me to see the blatant attempts the media makes to scare us. Everybody and their uncle suddenly has the swine flu now as soon as they sneeze! Its almost like a badge of honor anymore! lol

My husband was telling me about a co-worker whose daughter was sick. They got the blood test to check for H1N1 twice and both times came back negative. but the Dr STILL insisted she had the Swine Flu!! What is happening to people?!?! It drives me crazy!!