jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

Irritable bowel syndrome

1. Jordan1990 profile image60
    Jordan1990posted 7 years ago

It seems these days irritable bowel syndrome is becoming very common and many people don't realise that they are suffering from it.

<URL snipped - no self promotion in the Forums>

2. 0
    Pacal Votanposted 7 years ago

A recommended read for people experiencing abdominal pain.

3. edguider profile image60
    edguiderposted 6 years ago

Thanks I will check it out now. My brother has IBS but I do not know much about it..

4. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 6 years ago

In my early adult years I had IBS and a very bad diet. My diet has since improved a lot and my IBS has cleared up, I eat mostly vegetarian tho I like meat as a treat. I do think that for me anyway diet played a huge role in my IBS.

5. 0
    Justine76posted 6 years ago

IBS is real bad, as is Chrone's Disease. but, your not supposed to promeot our own hubs?
    that aside, I think alot can be controlled by diet.

6. Eleanor Candy profile image81
    Eleanor Candyposted 6 years ago

I have suffered from IBS in the past and have found that improving my diet has helped quite a lot.

Great informative hub by the way. Good job.

7. BEAUTYBABE profile image86
    BEAUTYBABEposted 6 years ago

IBS or Irritable Bowel Syndrome is a terrible affliction to live with. There is no real treatment for it, and no abnormality is usually found on any investigations that you have done. However,
    I have found that using bran or some other bulky kind of supplement is beneficial for the symptoms. It can be a chronic condition, which means that you live with it all the time, or you can go into remission (time of relief of symptoms). I have suffered from this for a number of years, and empathise with anyone who has had or is dealing with this  condition at the present time.
    I have found however that "Mintec" and "Buscopan" (which is an antispasmodic) can sometimes help with the symptoms of IBS. You will need a script for the Buscopan. Good Luck with it. BB

8. leefrancesemery profile image83
    leefrancesemeryposted 6 years ago

Hope people will understand our situation... It is really difficult as for me now to adjust in my eating habits, work and daily activities because its been 3 months since I was diagnosed.

9. dinkan53 profile image79
    dinkan53posted 6 years ago

Irritable bowel syndrome is nothing but a feeling of fear. Anxiety disorder is the main cause.

10. MagicStarER profile image93
    MagicStarERposted 6 years ago

IBS is definitely MORE than a "feeling of fear".  It consists of alternating diarrhea or constipation with severe abdominal cramps, along with other symptoms.  Watching what you eat can help prevent the worst attacks.  The trigger foods seem to be different for each individual.  For some people it is fats, spices, alcohol, or coffee.  For me, it is CORN and peas.  Peanuts and other nuts don't help, either!  Eating a diet with lots of raw fruits and veggies, plenty of fluids, and adding psyllium (Metamucil) to your diet, will help immensely in preventing IBS symptoms.  It is a miserable condition, and very painful.

11. MagicStarER profile image93
    MagicStarERposted 6 years ago

Oh, forgot to add that IBS causes me to wake up in the middle of the night with such severe cramps that it almost makes me cry.  Surely NOT a "feeling of fear" or "anxiety".  IBS is a very painful condition and NOT all in your head!!! Shame on you!

12. Little Nell profile image78
    Little Nellposted 6 years ago

A good quality preparation of Aloe Vera gel taken as advised on the bottle is magic for a range of bowel complaints.  Its very soothing and will reduce pain and cramping and it seems to bring the bowel back to regularity.  Strongly recommend it - tried loads of different products.  Aloe Vera is very bitter and a chore to take in the beginning, but you get used to it.  I had a friend who used it as a last resort with ulcerative colitis and was able to avoid surgery as her symptoms improved considerably.