jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

I had a child protection meeting today....

1. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 6 years ago

I had a child protection meeting today at work for my job as a lunch time supervisor at a primary school. I have actually had one of these meetings before, in my capacity as the schools crossing patroller and that meeting was actually longer and more intense. With that first meeting I had had loads of notice that a meeting was coming up and what it was for. This meeting I found out about just yesterday and the topic of the meeting did not come up, I figured it was some basic stuff.

I found it kinda tough today, the topic of child protection and abuse is a pretty heavy one for most people. For me its also a deeply personal topic and while with the first meeting I didn't have any personal reaction today was harder. I went straight from this meeting to my other job as the crossing patroller and found it hard. I kinda wanted to just find a quiet spot and have a little cry. The whole thing has left me feeling a bit emotionally blind sighted. I do plan on mentioning this to one of the leadership team who I know will understand and try to think about it for the future.

I thought I might say something here as there is not much more I can do until tomorrow and find this a very supportive community smile

2. Ms Chievous profile image82
    Ms Chievousposted 6 years ago

Sounds like you need to let your supervisor know that the training is intense for you and taps in to some feelings.  Most importaintly see if you can have some time between trainings and your job duties to drain off some of your emotions.  These topics are never easy to stomach!

3. Kidgas profile image80
    Kidgasposted 6 years ago

Hopefully you will have some quiet time later this evening, be alone with your thoughts and reflect.

4. kezan98 profile image60
    kezan98posted 6 years ago

If child protection issues didn't affect you in someway then you wouldn't be human.  Have a chat to your supervisor who might be able to give you some tips on how to deal with the emotionally disturbing information and it's implications.

Good Luck and I hope tomorrow beings a conclusion that best for the child concerned.

5. rmcrayne profile image95
    rmcrayneposted 6 years ago

kirsten, sorry you’re having such a stressful day.  I know how things can play on your mind.  I’m not clear on which factors were most upsetting to you, and I know you can’t really discuss the case.  Did you want more notice about the meeting so that you would feel more emotionally prepared to remain more neutral during the meeting?  Or would you just have had longer to worry if you had more notice on the meeting? 

Don’t beat yourself up.  Clearly you have a lot of concern and love for children.  If you did not meet your standards of conduct for the meeting, it wasn’t your fault that you did not have time to emotionally prepare yourself.  I hope things work out for the best.